1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

八陰八陽

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by Jeraru, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Jeraru Junior Member

España, español y catalán
    Hello. I found the phrase 八陰八陽 in the Sega's video game Shenmue 1 (as a sign inside the protagonist's dōjō), and until now my internet research of the meaning has been in vain. Roughly the meaning would be 8 Yin 8 Yang (from the Yin Yang concept) but even though I've read a little about Eastern philosophy it has no sense to me. If anyone could clarify it I would be very grateful.

Thank you

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  2. 涼宮

涼宮 Senior Member

Sbaeneg/Castellano (Venezuela)
    Yes, in fact 陰陽 is Yin Yang, but it has numbers. According to Wikipedia:

In the I Ching , yin and yang are represented by broken and solid lines: yang is solid (⚊) and yin is broken (⚋). These are then combined into trigrams, which are more yang or more yin depending on the number of broken and solid lines (e.g., ☰ is heavily yang, while ☷ is heavily yin), and trigrams are combined into hexagrams (e.g. ䷕ and ䷟). The relative positions and numbers of yin and yang lines within the trigrams determines the meaning of a trigram, and in hexagrams the upper trigram is considered yang with respect to the lower trigram, allowing complex depictions of interrelations.

So, if we take that explanation your phrase must be something like ''heavily yin'' and ''heavily yang''. But only by playing the video game we can get know to whom that refers. :)

I hope this helps a little.

3. Shatin Junior Member

Hong Kong
    Cantonese
    I found an explanation to your question here in Chinese:

http://tw.knowledge.yahoo.com/question/question?qid=1406011517137

I don't play the game myself and so not really sure what it's all about. Basically each strike move can be manifested in two different forms (yin & yang) depending on how you use your power (strength?). Altogether there are 8 possible yin moves (八陰) and 8 possible yang moves (八陽) . Hope this makes sense to you.

4. Jeraru Junior Member

These are very interesting answers. Thank you both. I also have one question for Shatin about the text within the Chinese link: Could you be so kind to tell me -if mentioned- whether 八陰八陽 is supposed to be the name of a Japanese martial art or if is supposed to be an aspect of a martial art?

5. Shatin Junior Member

Hong Kong
    Cantonese
    According to the link, in China there is a school of martial arts known as 八極拳. 極 is short for 極遠, extremely far, so 八極 sort of means 8 extremities. 拳 means fist. So 八極拳 means Fist of 8 Extremities. (If you are trying to attract disciples, I guess it would do no harm to give your kung fu style a fancy name.) When 八極拳 was first spread to Japan, it became known as 八門極心技. I did a search for 八門極心技 and came up with this youtube video of a video game:

xxx

Regardless of whether it is called 八極拳 or 八門極心技, there is an important technique/principle called 十字勁. Not being a fighter myself, I don't know what exactly this is. The best I can tell is it's a way to use your power/force. In case you really want to know what 十字勁 is, watch following video on the Chinese site Tudou (the master explaining the demonstration is speaking in Chinese, and there is a girl translating his words into Japanese) :

xxx

Note that the master draws a cross with his hands. 十字 means the Chinese character 10, which as you can tell looks like a cross.

Anyway depending on how you use your strength according to 十字勁, your power output will be known either as so-called Yin force or or Yang force. 八陰八陽 is a classification of the 八極拳 / 八門極心技 fighting moves depending on whether the yin or yang force is used.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  6. Jeraru Junior Member

Your input is a bomb, thank you very much for educating me in that issues.