1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

勉強すればするほど簡単になります

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by Maxi Muneyoshi, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Maxi Muneyoshi

Maxi Muneyoshi Junior Member

por (BR)
    The other day I was talking to a German friend of mine, who said something in the line of "the more one learns foreign languages, the easier it gets."

Actually, she said it in German, but that is how I translated it. Her original sentence was "Je mehr man lernt, desto leichter wird es, Fremdsprachen zu lernen".

I would like to convey a similiar meaning in Japanese, and so I've chosen the ”れば〜ほど sentence pattern.
    My first attempt yielded me this:

”外国語を勉強すればするほど簡単に(より)なります。”

How does it sound to you ?

Thank you for your time.

2. Tonky Senior Member

Japanese
    This is a tough question than it looks.
    I'm afraid this would mean "The more one learns/studies a foreign language, the easier it gets", but I believe what the line you want to translate is "to learn more languages" than "to study one language more".
    I would say「外国語は、より多くの外国語を学ぶほど簡単になります」or「外国語は、複数学習するとより簡単になります」but these may not be the best translations. The second one might mislead the listeners to think "more languages simultaneously".
    (Maybe someone else may come up with a better translation later, I could not think of a natural sounding sentence using ~ば~ほど pattern.)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  3. Flaminius

Flaminius coclea mod

capita Iaponiae
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    I would say, 語学は勉強すればするほど、簡単になる。

By replacing 外国語 with 語学, I attempted to set the topic as wide as possible. That is, it is about learning languages in general, not about a single specific language.

If you want a more robust description, I suggest dumping the ほど construction:
    言葉は、一つ覚えると(それだけ)次が簡単になる。

4. Masaki New Member

Japanese
    There are no grammatical errors. Most of the Japanese people can get the meaning of the sentence itself.
    But if I were you I would say as follows.
    "外国語は、勉強すればするほどコツがつかめるようになります。"
    I believe it is more close to what the original one implies.

5. mika00 Junior Member

Japan
    Japanese
    It is almost perfect. If I were to correct it will be..
    外国語は勉強すればするほど簡単になります。
    (↑normally Japanese will say like this.)

If it is literally translated it would mean "As for foreign language, if you study it more it will get more easier." It has some emphasys on 外国語は

6. Maxi Muneyoshi

Maxi Muneyoshi Junior Member

por (BR)
    Thank you all for your time and very useful suggestions. Have a nice day !

7. Tonky Senior Member

Japanese
    I've been thinking on this, and thought it might be good to use 習得する for the translation of "learn" here. (習得 = acquisition)
    How about 「外国語の習得は、数をこなすほど(次が)簡単になります」?
    (I do like the other suggestions by Flaminius and Masaki above too, though.)