1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

吐槽

Discussion in '中文+方言 (Chinese)' started by Chenwu, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Chenwu Junior Member

London
    Chinese
    Hi Everybody

I really want to know, Chinese people like to say "吐槽" this word, Does everyone know any good translation in English?

Cheers

2. Odriski Senior Member

Chinese
    It means “complain”

3. SuperXW Senior Member

Yes. It is that simple.
    Try to remember, when you didn't have the saying of 吐槽, and when you wrote an article, you'd always use 抱怨.

4. Loafaway Junior Member

Mandarin
    Here in Taiwan, it can also mean (in decreasing seriousness) "to rebuke someone", "to give someone hard times", or "to embarrass someone in a light way".

5. xiaolijie

xiaolijie MOD

UK
    English (UK)
    Do you mean the word is too informal to be use in writing? The following sentence seems ok to me even in writing:
    想到这,我不得不吐槽我自己。

(My question is just a question and not for contradicting what is said, 请多多指教!:D)

6. SuperXW Senior Member

你太前卫了。我觉得直至今日,词典们也是不会收这个词的……而且要是给我父母看,他们恐怕都不知道什么意思……

7. YangMuye Senior Member

Chinese - Mandarin
    吐槽一下:难道是我“宅”得太久了吗?我至今都不知道“吐槽”原来是抱怨的意思。

百度百科

8. SuperXW Senior Member

我也看过这个来源,但据我所见,现在最常用的是「抱怨」的意思。至于其他的含义乃至文化背景,可能由于太复杂,所以并没流行起来……

9. Loafaway Junior Member

Mandarin
    Hi YangMuye,

別忘了「以訛傳訛」也算是語言不斷「成長」的一部分。

Atom (same day)

10. jamiefkw New Member

Hong Kong
    Hong Kong - Cantonese
    I'm with YangMuye here.
    It's funny that I've never used 吐槽 to mean "complain", I only use it to mean "ツッコミ"。

For example on a variety show on TV,
    Artist A moves his limbs in a funny way and says: I can tell China will win the next World Cup Champions~~~ 我预测到中国会赢下届世界杯冠军~~
    Artist B says: You are Paul the Octopus?! 你是章鱼保罗?!

In this example, I'd say what Artist B does is 吐槽。He's not really complaining, he's just 调侃 or 揶揄 in order to make fun.

11. SuperXW Senior Member

Agreed.
    The word indeed has several possible meanings in current Chinese usages, with "complain" being the major one, along with other meanings such as 調侃, 揶揄 etc.
    Me, and many people never seemed to support to formalize this word, the main reason is, its meaning is not fixed. It's too vague. And its Japanese origin won't please some Chinese. And the Japanese usage is too hard to explain.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  12. effixu New Member

Mandarin Chinese
    Hi...this word is fairly new and only became popular roughly since 2006, if not later... and I don't suggest you use it in any formal way.

Plus, no one ever use it on themselves... it doesn't always have to be about something... could be general bi*ching in a humorous way...

13. miltonese

miltonese Junior Member

America
    Chinese
    i feel like 吐槽 can also have the meaning of 贬低 ...
    so i would like to use disparage :
    to describe (someone or something) as unimportant, weak, bad, etc.

14. Rethliopuks Junior Member

Shenzhen, PRC
    Mandarin
    吐槽 is actually not complaining...To me it stands for a meaning of "to make comments that are sort of revealing one's thought, in some special (perhaps somehow humorous/not serious?) senses/manners/intentions, from a rather uninvolved perspective, often debunking to some extent or in some aspects", so if I say 学校的楼梯被消防局吐槽过很多回了, I am describing it like such:
    (waking past stairs that are rather narrow)
    School: How do you think of our stairs? Aren't they good? (expectative)
    Station: Shouldn't they be wider? You have a thousand students./ Um, actually not, as you have a thousand students, so you should really make them wider.
    or:
    Station: Woah, yeah, the stairs are really *sufficient*, aren't they? / Yes, obviously *sufficient* for any emergency cases. *Excellent*! / (silently but obviously eyes at the width of the stair, with an I-don't-think-so expression and probably rolls his/her eye)
    (*the last case is also described 默默(地)吐槽)
    but not:
    Station: Dear xx School: We are very concerned that your stairs are unsatisfactory for emergency cases and you are hereby required to improve the situation in xx days or you will be fined xxxx.... (forgive me if the sentence sounds strange)
    or:
    -Station: (scolding) How can you make the stairs so narrow! Have you NOT realized that you have a thousands of students and awful danger may occur in emergencies? You MUST make it wider!
    Even though the actual case may very likely be the latter ones...I'm just creating such feelings by using 吐槽.
    PS: 吐槽 is really not advising(建议, 提议, etc.) though sometimes you 吐槽 by making advices/suggestions, and though it sometimes can be in the form of sarcasm, it is not sarcasm(嘲讽,挖苦, etc.) either. You 吐槽 in order to reveal a(n) opinion/thought/fact that concerns something and you feel you want to reveal it.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013