1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

君の言葉に誓った

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by belze7, Sep 2, 2013.

1. belze7 New Member

Español mexicano
    It's a part from a song called "One in a million!!": www kasi-time dot com/item-63418.html

I understand all the song but the part of the title sounds a bit weird or my japanese it's not that good

体中が目醒めるような
    君の言葉に誓った 誇らしく生きてゆくと

"It was like my whole body awakened"
    "I swore with/to your words, to live proudly" ?? (What I find difficult here is the function of に)

How would you put the second part?

2. Flaminius

Flaminius coclea mod

capita Iaponiae
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    The -ni in 君の言葉に introduces the causer of an action. In other words, swearing something is a reaction to the words.

3. Nobu.0

Nobu.0 Senior Member

Tokyo
    Japanese
    I agree.
    So I think it's better to understand "体中が目醒めるような / 君の言葉に誓った" as one single sentence, rather than two separate sentences.
    The translation will be something like "I pledged to your words, which had awakened my whole body, that I would live on with pride."

The speaker was told some inspiring words from the other person, and in reaction to those words the speaker is pledging that he/she will live proudly.

4. belze7 New Member

Español mexicano
    Thanks Flaminius, Nobu.0 I understand better this part now. I never thought of に like the causer... I'm going to read and study more to get used to sentences like this.