1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

因此由副主席阿卜杜拉·居尔出任總理

Discussion in '中文+方言 (Chinese)' started by jinxnao, Jun 14, 2013.

1. jinxnao Senior Member

turkey turkish
    Hello, I could not understand what does "由" mean here? Does it mean give in to (someone to do ) ? I guess what I propose is true, but What I can not understand is how a guy who does not know the context can distinguish this meaning from an another meaning such as "he because of abudula jüer took the post of chairmanship" in which we use "you" in a meaning like "because of "? These two meanings are totally different...

2. xiaolijie

xiaolijie MOD

UK
    English (UK)
    I don't think "由" in this context has any of the meanings you referred to. In this sentence, it indicates the person after it (Abudula Jüer) is the subject of the verb 出任. It'd be easier for you to understand if you just ignore "由" altogether and the sentence still makes perfect sense:
    因此副主席阿卜杜拉·居尔出任總理.

3. tarlou Senior Member

Chinese
    Yes, "由..." means "it is for ...[somebody] to do" here. The sentence structure is like a passive sentence "...被 somebody+verb". (But note that 由 can't be replaced with 被 in this sentence.)

As for "he took chairmanship because of abudula", that should be 他由于阿卜杜拉成为了总理. You can ignore 而 sometimes. But if 由于 is replaced with 由, I don't think anyone would interpret it as "because of". Moreover, this is still not a good sentence, probably people would say 他由于阿卜杜拉的劝说才肯出任总理(he is very eligible but he does not want) or 他是靠阿卜杜拉才当上了总理 (he is not eligible).
    Phrasing matters a lot. I guess that's the most difficult thing in learning Chinese.:)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013