1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

大叫

Discussion in '中文+方言 (Chinese)' started by Alxmrphi, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    Hi all,

I was trying to follow the children's story 猪 (The three little pigs) and I saw
    大 and 叫 next to each other. Now, knowing that 大 is big and 叫 is to call / be called, putting them together, I imagine that 大 is used as a way to intensify it so does it mean something like shout?

If so, is it right to say "I shouted" like this:

大 叫

I'm really new to Chinese so I'm really not sure of even the most simple things.

Thanks!

2. xiaolijie

xiaolijie MOD

UK
    English (UK)
    Yes, you're right. 大叫 means shout/ yell (can also be noun).
    But just like in other languages, it's not always a simple matter of putting things together according to some grammatical rules and the end product will automatically be natural-sounding. For this reason, I can't see anything wrong with 我大叫了 but it doesn't sound natural to me. Perhaps one first needs to get a bit more familiar with how the word is used or combined with others.
    Welcome to the forum, Alxmrphi! :)

3. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    Don't worry, I know that feeling well. :p
    I'm often telling people 'they'll pick up a knack for it' or 'you'll soon get a feel for what's right' and now I'm re-living it again myself and can appreciate the frustration some people feel in that stage before that happens. Hey, that's why I'm here I guess.

Thanks.,

4. Jun zhi

Jun zhi New Member

Beijing
    Mandarin Chinese
    大叫=大声叫, the differnce between 叫and大叫 lies here: the latter means "to shout louder than usual"

5. SuperXW Senior Member

By the way, although 了 can indicate a "past tense", (that is to say, 我大叫了 is grammatical) it's mostly used to make a simple statement.
    我大叫了 is like to say "Yes. I have shouted." Sounds a little bit weird, doesn't it?
    If you are telling a story, people will feel the tone of 了 is too "calm" for "shout". that is why we seldom really say 我大叫了.
    To tell a story, 我大叫了起来 or 我大叫起来 would be more natural.