1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

忠恕之道

Discussion in '中文+方言 (Chinese)' started by benjaminlee, Sep 11, 2013.

1. benjaminlee Senior Member

Chinese
    忠恕怎么解释,忠恕之道的英文又是什么。请帮忙。

2. wishonatrish Junior Member

English
    Is "To each their own." / "To each his own." a reasonable translation?

3. benjaminlee Senior Member

Chinese
    I donot think so, "to each their own" very oftern is not about morality, but style, preferences. Whereas 忠恕之道 is the overarching principle in Confucian ethics.

4. wishonatrish Junior Member

English
    Actually, I'd say the phrase "to each their own" is more about morality. It's like saying, "meh [耸肩], whatever floats their boat." Because the phrase "to each their own" carries a slight negative tonality. When it comes to style and preferences, people use the more light-hearted phrase, "Different strokes for different folks."

5. Skatinginbc

Skatinginbc Senior Member

Canada
    Mandarin 國語
    忠,谓尽心为人 (i.e., sincerity, faithfulness);恕,谓推己及人 (i.e., empathy, compassion). 忠恕之道 = The doctrine of faithfulness and compassion.

6. Weilian New Member

Mandarin
    Chung is conscientiousness to others and Shu is altruism, according to Dr Fung Yu-lan.
    source: his book a short history of Chinese Philosophy.

7. fxlle Senior Member

Cantonese
    Several days ago I watched TV of a record programe called "The development history of Chinese".There was a story.Someone who lived in America,he was native Chinese in Qing Dynasty.sometimes his boss was angly and fed up all the staffs.He used to be scold,the same as the others.Ultimately All the staffs quitted their jobs except him.Then the boss feelled move and the meaning of 忠恕 from the Chinese staff's behavior.So he etablish the first class of learning Chinese and the staff donated his overall finances.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013