1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

情况 / 状况

Discussion in '中文+方言 (Chinese)' started by Staarkali, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Staarkali

Staarkali Senior Member

Hello all,

Can anyone tell me which is to choose in the following:

to evaluate a candidate in professionnal situation
    在职业情况下评价考生
    还是
    在职业状况下评价考生
    还是
    其他的
    I try to understand the difference of use of 情况 and 状况, any example or explanation appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

2. Skatinginbc

Skatinginbc Senior Member

Canada
    Mandarin 國語
    My opinion: They are synonymous. No difference. If an artificial distinction has to be made, well, we have to go back to the time when they were first used to mean some kind of condition.

情况 (Middle Chinese) = sentiment, feelings, human relation + 况 circumstance
    [FONT=&amp]宋[/FONT][FONT=&amp]˙[/FONT][FONT=&amp]范仲淹[/FONT]: [FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]「[/FONT]北人情況異南人,蕭灑溪山苦無趣。」[/FONT] ==> customs, human relation.

状况 (Modern Chinese) = form, shape, appearance + 况 circumstance
    [FONT=&amp]鲁迅[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“[/FONT]我离开仙台之后,就多年没有照过相,又因为状况[FONT=&amp]无聊[/FONT],说起来无非使他失望,便连信也怕敢写了。==> physical condition.

Which one is better? 在职业情况下评价考生 or 在职业状况下评价考生? I think it's totally up to you. In my dialect, 职业状况 (the "shape" of career development) is more common.
    "之间的状况" => 1,140,000 google hits
    "之间的情况" => 4,860,000 google hits, evidence that shows 情况 is more common when "relation" is being discussed.

BTW, neither
    在职业情况下评价考生 nor 在职业状况下评价考生 makes sense to me. Do people actually say that in China? "To evaluate a candidate in professional situation"--Do you mean "to assess a job candidate in a professional setting", "to assess an applicant's ability in handling professional situations", or "to assess an examinee 考生 in a professional manner"?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  3. Staarkali

Staarkali Senior Member

so 状况 and 情况 both have their own field of use, right?
    is it possible to ask 什么状况 when inquiring about the situation?

To add some precisions on my original sentence, the context is apprenticeship where candidates to the diploma (not graduated yet) both go to school and work in company, learning their job on the spot (though the wage is lower) in order to graduate.
    So the candidates need to be evaluated both through traditional academic exams (2-4h sitting with test papers) and "on-site" to check their skills and professional attitude.
    To be even more precise, the example is for chefs, so the professional setting would the kitchen of a restaurant and the candidates apprentice-cooks.

4. Skatinginbc

Skatinginbc Senior Member

Canada
    Mandarin 國語
    Well, as I said, they are synonymous, interchangeable in most if not all cases.
    Yes. You may ask 什么情况 as well.
    So you are talking about 执业考试,对学徒工作能力的评估 (技能鉴定) and [FONT=&amp]对[/FONT][FONT=&amp]其[/FONT][FONT=&amp]职业领域[/FONT][FONT=&amp]知识的考[/FONT]测 (资格考试). And I guess you are asking if you may say "评估学徒工作状况/情况". Yes, you may, but I prefer 评估学徒工作能力.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  5. Lucia_zwl

Lucia_zwl Senior Member

Hi Staarkali,

After reading your post #3, I would translate your sentence like this: 评估/考核学员的职业技能。
    职业技能 means "professional skills/techniques", as you have explained in post #3. I'm afraid neither 职业状况 nor 职业情况 make much sense in this context.

Besides, I would translate "candidate" as 学员, not 考生 or 学徒工. 考生 is mainly used when there's an examination; and I think 学徒/学徒工 is more used in the old days, though "apprentice" is translated as 学徒/学徒工 in dictionaries...and 学徒工 emphasises 工, i.e. 工人(worker/employee) rather than student or candidate.

6. Staarkali

Staarkali Senior Member

oki thanks all!

7. HomelyGrace New Member

Italia
    Chinese Trad
    I am Chinese, and I think both are correct .