1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

慢点儿

Discussion in '中文+方言 (Chinese)' started by ramonunodos, Jan 5, 2013.

1. ramonunodos Senior Member

American English
    大家好!

I had a Chinese person say "慢点儿" to me as I walked out of his store once, and my friend told me that it could be used to mean, roughly, 'take it easy'.

Is this correct, or is there a better way to say 'take it easy'?

Thanks!!

2. xiaolijie

xiaolijie MOD

UK
    English (UK)
    There are many ways of saying 'take it easy' in Chinese, depending on what you mean by it and in the right context "慢点儿" could mean just that.

But I wonder if the shop assistant was actually saying something like "慢走", as this means "take care/see you again/ goodbye".

3. Lucia_zwl

Lucia_zwl Senior Member

Agree with xiaolijie~ In your context, maybe you mean "慢走"? There happens to be a thread concerning "慢走".

4. ramonunodos Senior Member

American English
    that could be, I thought i heard '慢点儿', but I could be mistaken. Thanks for your input!

5. Youngfun

Youngfun Senior Member

Pekino, Ĉinujo
    Chinese/Italian - bilingual
    I think that '慢点儿' can also be used for greeting someone leaving, same meanng as 慢走 in this case.

6. coffeerat New Member

Chinese
    The person used 慢点儿 as 慢走 in this context. You cannot be that precise with Chinese, we also use 客氣 to mean 不客氣

7. BODYholic Senior Member

Singapore
    Chinese Cantonese
    Given the same scenario in Singapore, most people here will take "慢点儿" as "hold on a moment". Perhaps the staff has something to say.

8. SuperXW Senior Member

This is because some elements has been omitted in some common scenarios. E.g. 慢点儿(走),(你太)客气(了).