1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

技術が好きな人は上位文化に興味がないと伝えられる

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by Maxi Muneyoshi, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Maxi Muneyoshi

Maxi Muneyoshi Junior Member

por (BR)
    Hello,

I am trying to say the following sentence in Japanese, and hope to do so with your help.

"It was reported that people with a big interest in technology happen to show less interest in high culture".

"技術が好きな人は上位文化に興味がないと伝えられる"

Thank you for your help

2. Nobu.0

Nobu.0 Senior Member

Tokyo
    Japanese
    Some comments on your translation first...
    Even though I've noticed some dictionary websites give "上位文化" as a meaning of "high culture", I don't hear the phrase used in Japanese. Also, "と伝えられる" is ambiguous in that it is not clear if it means that the speaker was told something by someone personally or if the speaker is making a general statement about the relationship between technology and high culture.

So here is my suggested translation:
    技術に強い興味を持つ人は、あまり高級な文化には興味を示さないものだと言われている。

Hope this helps.

3. Flaminius

Flaminius coclea mod

capita Iaponiae
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    I'd translate high culture into simply 文化 (「「文化」という言葉がもっぱらハイカルチャーを指すことがある」Cf. Wikipedia s.v.). Other than that, I agree with Nobu.0's translation.

4. Tonky Senior Member

Japanese
    What the above post said, except for "high culture".
    It depends on context and what you want to say with that sentence. 上位文化 is fine when compared to 下位文化/大衆文化, and some people use 高等文化 to compare with 一般文化, or some even use katakana instead and say ハイカルチャー vs サブカルチャー.
    The original term that is said to be introduced by Matthew Arnold's work "Culture and Anarchy" was translated in Japanese as "教養と無秩序" instead of using the word 文化. It is too vague to say what fits best from just one sentence given here.
    *edit*
    I meant the above post by Nobu.0's. If the term "high culture" you used does not convey any special meanings, then what Flaminius said above sounds better.

I'm afraid translating "high culture" as 高級な文化 would lose its original definition of the term used in Anthropology field, unless 高級な文化 has been defined particularly beforehand. (OR unless the speaker actually means to start an argument that 文化 has 高級 and not-高級 ones).

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  5. Maxi Muneyoshi

Maxi Muneyoshi Junior Member

por (BR)
    My intention with 上位文化 was tell it apart from 下位文化.
    Thank you all for your suggestions. They were quite helpful.