1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

敬語じゃなくていいですよ

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by Errol246, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Errol246 New Member

Denmark
    Danish
    「敬語じゃなくていいですよ」

What does this sentence mean exactly?

I just started writing with a Japanese girl over e-mail, and she wants to know about my nation's culture. Before responding, I want to make sure whether it's ok to use informal language with her or not. My guess as to what this means is that I do not have to use honorific language. Is this the case?

The girl is 18, and I am 19.

Thank you!

2. lrosa Senior Member

Dublin
    English - Ireland
    Yes, this sentence means that you don't have to use "Keigo" or honorific language. As to what exactly the Japanese girl means when she says this, I am unsure as I have often heard Japanese people use the word 敬語 when they are actually referring to 丁寧語 (Teineigo), i.e. using です instead of だ or 食べます instead of 食べる, etc. My understanding is that 丁寧語 is only one part of what is encompassed by the term 敬語, which is a general system of honorific words and grammatical forms that express differences in social status. Perhaps this page can shed some light on the topic: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Japanese/Grammar/Honorifics

Since you are both roughly the same age, I suggest copying the style in which she writes to you.