1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

文雅 / 优雅

Discussion in '中文+方言 (Chinese)' started by goodatchinese, Jul 18, 2013.

1. goodatchinese Junior Member

Mandarin,Wu-chinese
    Here's some original information seperated from another thread about 中庭 and 庭院
    Which I want to say for "graceful" is 优雅,you can consider it an upper level of 文雅.
    文雅 is basically means something on the opposite side of 粗鲁,粗俗(rude or vulgar?).
    When i'm angry or complaining about something using some 4-letter words, then my girlfriend may remind me,"Don't be rude,talk nice(不要那么粗鲁,文雅一些)".
    And more,when we meet someone,
    "Hey ,you!" (你!)--This is rude.
    "What's up?""How you doing"(最近怎么样)--This is normal.
    "Nice to meet you","It's my honor"(很高兴认识你,这是我的荣幸)--this is 文雅.
    "My lord","My lady"(...)--This is 优雅.

Both 文雅 and 优雅 can be used as a description of physical behavior, literary works, even animals or plants, almost no restricting.
    "优雅的芭蕾舞(ballet)"
    "优雅的文学作品(literary works)"
    "他的举止很文雅(He behaves gracefully)"
    "优雅的程序代码"(means well designed and programmed codes.)
    Here's a picture every girl will be fond of.
    http://images.china.cn/attachement/jpg/site1000/20111020/0019b91ec9441009c11b36.jpg
    If my gf sees this,she must say "好优雅的喵喵哦!"(What a 'graceful' kitty ).BTW,喵喵 is a cute way to call a 猫,like kitty to cat.

Now i'll back to the adjs you've mentioned.
    My understanding of these "refined","elegant","poetic","academic".
    "refined"--This is the most familiar one to me among all.We use it now and then in our daily work.Sometimes we have products works well but not that efficient as we expected or little bit mess in design.So we will refine it to a better one.

"elegant"--Maybe some pleasing and behaved person.Or a nice restaurant, quiet, many ladys and gentlemen.

"poetic"--I think this is "有诗意的".Here's a picture ag and i think it's a peotic one.It makes feel like reading a poem.
    http://www.6188.com/upload_6188s/flashAll/s800/20130225/13617537665UGAEh.jpg

"academic"--The concept of regular, with long history, in a word, "Hogwarts". Something like "有学术气息的".
    http://img.m1905.com/UploadFile/pics/2009/09/22/103018515.jpg

So in my opinion now, "elegant" is the most accurate one to explain what i want to say for "优雅"。
    And i think poetic and academic are other perspectives of elegant, they are "优雅" too.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  2. Ben pan Senior Member

chinese
    ... separated from another thread about, separated from sounds not natural to me, extracted is better. you can consider it an upper level of 文雅. This is not good English, incomprehensible to native speakers. I think poetic and academic are other perspectives of elegant, perspective is wrong, you should say dimension or elements...

As for the content of your thread, I think it is fantastic, it shows your delicate sensitivity with language.

I do not know who wrote the second thread you quoted, but I am completely certain that he was wrong in saying that refined is restricted to that kind of situation. Also, elegant has no problem in describing a written work, because the art of writing is not necessarily the art of audible expression, language can be abstractly beautiful, beautiful on its own right, not visually and not audibly, but in the sense that it gives us the most complicated and subtle expression of the deepest sensual experience. To be possessed of a harmonious rhythm is one aspect of writing, but it is not the same as good writing, good writing asks more than that.

Concerning your strongest view,So in my opinion now, "elegant" is the most accurate one to explain what i want to say for "优雅"; Both 文雅 and 优雅 can be used as a description of physical behavior, literary works, even animals or plants, almost no restricting.I can not agree with you. I am sorry to say that.

文雅 at most times, refers to politeness of behavior, it is imprinted with the mark of Rule of Rites礼治, or cultivation of Rites礼教. 优雅 originally is used to represent the beauty of one`s bodily action, it is out of the range of meaning expressed by 文雅, because it is related with beauty, whereas the latter is about rightness, though in specific context, rightness or appropriateness can be a sort of beauty.

The references of elegant overlap with that of 优雅, but it fails to render 优雅,when you use 优雅 to depict the voice of a singer. It will command too much effort to elucidate clearly about all the problem you have just set forth. A tentative list is all that I can do.

文雅:decent, polite, 优雅,graceful (mostly bodily action), elegant, delicate, refined, ...
    but academic is far from being 优雅,at most sophisticated.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  3. goodatchinese Junior Member

Mandarin,Wu-chinese
    To Ben pan,
    Thanks a lot for correcting my Engilish mistakes. You made my point more clear to those who are not native speakers.
    I think everyone has diffrent explanations, something you think normal may means different to others.
    BTW, your Engilish is so good, I can't believe you are a native Chinese speaker, not English. But your Chinese makes me believe so.
    Hope to see your replies to other threads. It benefits both Chinese and English learners.

4. Ben pan Senior Member

chinese
    With this kind of spirit, which I would label as pleasant humbleness, your knowledge in English will build up in an unexpected speed. I was not concerned at totally solving your problem, but just tried to help from a special perspective and to a limited scale. :)