1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

朕 / 孤

Discussion in '中文+方言 (Chinese)' started by Hyperpolyglot, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Hyperpolyglot Senior Member

English
    I've watched many old Chinese TV dramas, many involve emperor, when the emperor address himself, the pronoun he uses for "I" is 朕 instead of 我, lately I've seen TV dramas where the emperor addresses himself as 姑 or 菇, I could be wrong but it has that "Gu" sound, anyone know what it is? Why didn't he use 朕?

2. BODYholic Senior Member

Singapore
    Chinese Cantonese
    It's 孤, or sometimes 孤王. Are you watching 封神英雄榜?

3. Hyperpolyglot Senior Member

English
    包青天 from the 1990s, most of the time it is 朕,then I think only one episode they use this Gu character

4. Skatinginbc

Skatinginbc Senior Member

Canada
    Mandarin 國語
    Good question! "孤" is typically a self-address for the ruler of a regional power (e.g., feudal princes 諸侯, small kings 庶方小侯, warlords 枭雄). That a "High King" or emperor of the Northern Song Dynasty addressed himself as "孤" is indeed surprising and strange.

5. Lucia_zwl

Lucia_zwl Senior Member

Hi, I remember it's written in the middle school history book that 秦始皇 is the first emperor who announced that only he could address himself as 朕 while others were forbidden to use this word. His successors kept this rule. The emperors/kings before him normally called themselves 孤 or 寡人.

6. ellecelia New Member

Chengdu, China
    Chinese
    Yes, the king wants to tell others that there's only one in the world is king. so he calls himself 孤. Literally means " alone". But this is more used in the literal text. when address himself, he will say 朕. especially Qing dynasty.