1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

武士道とは死ぬことと見つけたり

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by Pot-Bouille, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Pot-Bouille Senior Member

Hi,

I'm having a hard time understanding the structure (and meaning) of the following sentence.
    A soldier is about to sacrifice himself to save his friends and shouts:
    武士道とは死ぬことと見つけたり!!

Does the たり here means that death is one way among others of finding (respecting ?) bushido ?

Thank you all for your help!

2. blutorange2 Junior Member

Saxony
    German
    Apparently, 武士道とは死ぬことと見つけたり is a phrase that occurs in, well, the bushido philosophy, and stands for something like "the courage to face death, not being afraid of death, rather die than lose your honor or do something immoral.", at least according to some discussion on chiebukuro I read. You can google the whole phrase to get more info (in Japanese).

武士道とは 「死ぬこと」と見つけたり. It shouldn't be surprising that it used classical Japanese grammar, when たり was more diverse than today. Being a contraction of て+有り, take a look at some short examples:
    「筒の中、光りたり」=「筒の中が光っている」
    「女の兄人、にはかに迎へに来たり」=「女の兄が急に迎えに来た」

3. Pot-Bouille Senior Member

Thank you!
    I hadn't thought of classical Japanese at all, as all the characters are talking in contemporary colloquial speech other than that.
    I guess it could happen in a movie in English, with a character suddenly quoting Shakespeare :)

4. frequency

frequency Senior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Japanese
    I think たり in your 武士道~たり would fit the usage in this example:
    I checked up a little on http://www.weblio.jp/content/たり, and yours seems to fit (3). I've found that Bushido is.. I didn't know that たり works such.