1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

毎日書いても書かなくてもどちらでもいいことばかりを日記に書いているのだが

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by mdbvma, Nov 21, 2012.

1. mdbvma Senior Member

Canada, English
    毎日書いても書かなくてもどちらでもいいことばかりを日記に書いているのだが、それがストレス解消になっている。

What does "毎日書いても書かなくてもどちらでもいいことばかりを日記に書いているのだが" translate to in English?

2. frequency

frequency Senior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Japanese
    Let's do step by step:)
    And first, let's omit ばかりを temporarily.

Every day I'm writing in a diary about the things that 書いても書かなくてもどちらでもいい...

3. Wishfull Senior Member

jp
    To tell the truth, I'm always writing stuff which may not be worth while to write down in my diary. Yet it's a great relief for stress.

To tell the truth, I'm always writing stuff which may be worth while to write down, or may not, in my diary.
    To tell the truth, I'm always writing stuff which is not so important in my diary.
    Frankly speaking, I'm always writing useless stuff in my diary.

I don't think the title sentence is a good Japanese sentence. It's a little too redundant.

4. Eruanne New Member

Paris, France
    French
    Hello,
    There are a few things I don't understand...

Wishfull, where in the sentence do you find the meaning "to tell the truth/frankly speaking"?
    Also, which part of the sentence reflects the notion of "being worthwhile"?

I have to admit that, when I read the sentence, the translation I had in my head (although I was sure it was wrong) was something like "When I write good things ( いいこと ) in my diary, whether it is everyday or not, it is a great relief for stress". I know I misunderstand it completely, but this part: 書いても書かなくてもどちらでもいいことばかりを is difficult for me! Sorry, my level of Japanese is not very advanced...

Thanks in advance!

5. mdbvma Senior Member

Canada, English
    I was having the same problem as you Eruanne, but I think I figured it out. "書いても書かなくてもどちらでもいい" means "It doesn't matter whether I write it or not". It's the same thing as "書いても書かなくてもかまいません". This phrase is a relative clause attached to "こと". Therefore "書いても書かなくてもどちらでもいいこと" means "things that it doesn't matter whether I write or not" or in Wishfull's translation, "stuff which may be worthwhile to write down or may not". I think his other translation, "useless" is more accurate though.

I suppose "のだ" would literally mean "the situation is that" but Wishfull is translating it as "To tell the truth".

The translation of the entire sentence becomes "It is true that every day I write nothing more than unimportant details in my diary, but that serves as stress relief."

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  6. Eruanne New Member

Paris, France
    French
    Thanks mdbvma, your explanation is very helpful! I get it now. It's good that you managed to figure it out eventually.

7. frequency

frequency Senior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Japanese
    Great. I supposed you would get answer without more explanation.
    だが is just 'but' as you did. But this works slightly close to 'and' in this case.

If you want to add ばかりを, do you add it after 'unimportant details'? If not, regardless to say it's OK because the sentence works out well without it. Up to you.

8. mdbvma Senior Member

Canada, English
    ばかり=nothing more than