1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

気づいたの

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by easychen, Sep 24, 2013.

1. easychen Senior Member

Chinese
    Hi,

Here's part of the lyrics of the song 長い間 by Kiroro:

気づいたあなたがこんなに胸の中にいること

What's the role of の between 気づいたand あなた? Is it necessary?

Thanks in advance!

2. YangMuye Senior Member

Chinese - Mandarin
    気づいたの。あなたがこんなに胸の中にいること(に)。

の makes the sentence softer and sounds more sincere.

3. easychen Senior Member

Chinese
    So the の here sounds more feminine?

4. YangMuye Senior Member

Chinese - Mandarin
    I think so, but I'm not sure.
    It's said that の is mainly used by elder females or in fictions, lyrics and movies.
    Expressions used in lyrics seem very different to expressions that are used everyday. For example, it may use 僕 when the singer should be a girl.

EDIT:
    It might be "気づいたの?", which does not need to sound feminine.

I read the lyrics, but I couldn't understand it.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  5. xiaolijie

xiaolijie MOD

UK
    English (UK)
    Kind of. It's more often used by females. In this context, I think it's used by the speaker to affirm her observation (of her own feelings).

6. Tonky Senior Member

Japanese
    Yes, "の" is definitely feminine, and only used by girls. (or transsexuals, maybe)
    I never use it myself, but I've heard some girls living in Tokyo using it, and female characters in fiction (manga, anime, literature) almost always use it to show its gender on purpose.

That line is not a question, by the way, "I realized. That you have always been in my heart(on my mind) thoroughly."
    I think の here means like "I'm telling you", that is the closest phrase I can find in English, although I would not translate it.

*edit*
    Just read the lyrics, and I see that this song has two people talking.
    First two verses are said to this girl by her boyfriend, and the others using の are from this girl to the boy, however the words from the girl's side are not actually said to the boy, only in her mind, talking to herself. (She wants to say it to him, but she can't for some reason.)
    It also shows the gender difference using あなた from the girl's side and 君 from the boy's side.
    So, yes, this の is a must-have here, so that listeners can tell which verse is said by the girl or the boy.

*edit 2*
    Found a great link from chiebukuro :)
    http://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1463262679
    (This song is said to be a gift to the singer's friend who got married to this man after a long period of relationship. It says that he made her wait for so long because of work, and she waited patiently without complaints and they finally married.)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  7. easychen Senior Member

Chinese
    On a much related note:

If I, as a man, talk to my girlfriend, will I say: 気づいた君がこんなに胸の中にいるよ?:)

8. Tonky Senior Member

Japanese
    If it's a male version of the phrase in the song, it should be
    気づいたんだ
    君がこんなに胸の中にいること
    (please refer to the post #2 by YangMuye, above.)