1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)


Discussion in '中文+方言 (Chinese)' started by Yuca007, Dec 4, 2013.

  1. Yuca007 Senior Member

    Hi folks!

    "Purple village conjoined villa"? What is it? Is it a fictional name?
    Context (talking about buying a house): "现在紫庄的联体别墅都四十九万了·"
  2. Lucia_zwl

    Lucia_zwl Senior Member

    紫庄 is a name of a place, could be fictional or real. 联体别墅 is a villa style, as you said, "conjoined villa". So 紫庄的联体别墅 means the 联体别墅 in 紫庄.
  3. mashu New Member

    紫庄 is possibly Zizhuang county, a suburb of a medium city Xuzhou. “连体别墅” is usually the Chinese expression of "town house". In this context, its meaning may be "It costs 490k for a suburban town house now, what are you talking about/dreaming for?". FYR.
  4. Yuca007 Senior Member

    So it might actually exist! How about that!

    But is it 联体别墅 or 连体别墅? The subtitles used the first version, but mashu, you wrote the second one. Or is that just a typo due to the fact that they're homophones?
  5. mashu New Member

    Sorry it's my typo. “联体别墅” is correct.
  6. SuperXW Senior Member

    Man, the country is big. The existence of such a common name is certainly possible. If not, any developer could use it soon. :)

    For 联 and 连, I would say, their meanings are not very different at the first place. Consider this kind of housing is a new thing for Chinese, either 联 or 连 can be used and understood. Only some developers or linguists may have their own preference.
    To be more strict, 联 would look nicer and more elegant, since it's used to describe abstract conceptions. 连体 makes people think of conjoined twins...
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  7. spammehere Junior Member

    I honestly believe in "联体别墅" just a marketing term
    Simply, It is a townhouse, multiply units are joined
  8. Yuca007 Senior Member

    I sure noticed. When I got to Beijing, I was like, well, are all of these houses banks and malls? Where do the people live? I honestly think I never even saw any house apart from the one in the 胡同 area that reminded me vaguely of a typical family house like in my hometown. But I'm digressing...

    Yeah, that's why I asked. My first look-up in an electronic dictionary spit it out in the context of conjoined twins, too, so I wondered if this could be a valid term for houses. But if 联 doesn't carry this implication so much, I'm fine with it.
    I suppose this type of housing usually involves a house in which two families live, each side mirroring the other? We call that concept a "double house" where I come from. In English, it's called a "twin house", as far as I know.

Share This Page