1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

经销商 / 分销商

Discussion in '中文+方言 (Chinese)' started by nic456, Nov 22, 2012.

1. nic456 Senior Member

UK
    alemán
    Hi,

I would expect you to understand both words, and I suppose they both mean an entity that buys goods and sells them on. In English I would use distributor and reseller interchangeably for consumer goods, but distributor for utilities (water, electricity). Would you use both for consumer goods like software or computers?

谢谢

2. SuperXW Senior Member

I don't think we distinguish these two words from goods or utilities, but the exclusiveness of the channel, as 分 stresses the meaning of "split".
    If you mention 分销商, there must be more than one seller.
    e.g.
    这家公司是我们的唯一合法经销商。 This company is our only legal distributor. (Can't use 分销商 here.)
    我们有很多分销商。We have many distributors/resellers. (经销商 is also ok.)

3. phill84 Junior Member

Amsterdam, NL
    Mandarin - China
  4. nic456 Senior Member

UK
    alemán
    Thanks! I have decided to go with 经销商 as there is a higher usage in combination with local and software. SuperXW's 2nd example. If you give it a closer look, again, the boundaries are fluent: dealer or retailer, authorised dealer [but also franchisee], though dealer always sells to enduser [which could be a company], wholesaler and distributor...

5. SuperXW Senior Member

That's a lot of words to define...I don't think I can tell all the differences. Hard for me who is not a business student... x_x

6. alejandro123 Junior Member

Polish
    It shouldn't be like this, huh?

零售商 retailer
    经销商 ​distributor, dealer