1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

違う

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by Robin`, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Robin` Junior Member

english
    Hi

I heard this in my anime. The girl in RDG cut her hair and is self conscious about it and goes やっぱり変かな then her friend goes ううんイメジが全然違うよ

What does this 違う mean exactly.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  2. lrosa Senior Member

Dublin
    English - Ireland
    Hi Robin

違う means "to be different", so if I understand correctly the friend is saying literally "No, the look is completely different" or more naturally, "No, it's (just) a totally different look."

3. Tonky Senior Member

Japanese
    or "it makes a totally different impression." :)
    (イメジ)

4. Robin` Junior Member

english
    Thanks lrosa and Tonky. In this case, does it mean different from what the girl said?

Could the friend have started the topic with イメジが全然違う to mean different from expected.

5. lrosa Senior Member

Dublin
    English - Ireland
    If I understand you correctly, I don't think that the friend's statement (apart from ううん) is at all related to the girl's statement. The friend is merely saying that the look/impression is different from before, i.e. it's a new look/impression. So yes, the friend could have started the conversation with イメージが全然違うよ

6. Robin` Junior Member

english
    I think I get it then. やっぱり mean "still" here, doesnt it. I listened again and there wasnt a pause after it like I had expected.

7. lrosa Senior Member

Dublin
    English - Ireland
    やっぱり has the same meaning as やはり which is "as expected/sure enough/after all" - see here for some examples: http://ejje.weblio.jp/content/矢張

So やっぱり変かな would roughly mean "It is weird after all", although in my opinion やっぱり often cannot be given a direct equivalent when translating.

8. *enr* New Member

Japanese
    やっぱり here is difficult to translate. By saying やっぱり, the girl is being cautious. It gives an impression that the girl won't be hurt even if the friend tells her it's weird, because she has expected the answer. Without やっぱり, it's a simple question "Do you think it's weird?"; and with やっぱり, it sounds like "(I know it's weird, but to make sure,) do you think it's weird (too) ?". Still, it doesn't mean she is truly expecting a negative opinion, so the friend will rarely say what she really thinks.

9. Tonky Senior Member

Japanese
    イメチェン=イメージ・チェンジ=イメージを変える(change image/look/impression) is one of the biggest reasons for girls' hair-cut, and it is related somehow, since having a totally different look/impression from new hair-cut means actual "success".

However, if her friend really thought the new hair looked so good on her, then she might just say 「すっごく似合うよ!」 instead. Maybe she didn't look as good and her friend just avoided to mention whether good or bad, but just talked about how different impression it gave her, destructing her attention from "how good" to "new look" as lrosa said above, so as not to hurt her feeling.