1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

食べづらいツレ

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by Shatin, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Shatin Junior Member

Hong Kong
    Cantonese
    From the blog post below:

http://blog.livedoor.jp/jp1fdi/archives/52018340.html

扁桃腺が腫れて硬いものが食べ
    づらいツレは海鮮リゾットと、

I don't understand the part highlighted in red.

Incidentally, in the same blog post there is this sentence:

海鮮リゾットもシーフードリゾットが正しい日本語ですよね。

I find it curious that the writer feels シーフード is more correct than 海鮮. シーフード is from seafood which means the same thing as 海鮮. Why would it be more correct to use katakana than kanji? Perhaps there is a convention not to mix katakana and kanji? Or is there a subtle difference between シーフード and 海鮮?

2. Schokolade Senior Member

England
    Japanese
    「扁桃腺が腫れて硬い物が食べづらいツレは海鮮リゾットとイタリア風水餃子を食べました。」

The 扁桃腺が腫れて硬い物が食べづらい is a relative clause modifying the ツレ(連れ), "my friend," and the ツレ is the subject for the 食べました. 食べづらい is made of 食べる and づらい(つらい/辛い), (the つ is voiced because of Rendaku/連濁) and the compound word 食べづらい means 食べにくい, 食べるのが難しい, "hard to eat" or "find it difficult to eat." The writer's friend ate 海鮮リゾット and イタリア風水餃子 because he had swollen tonsils and couldn't eat solid food.

I don't think 海鮮リゾット is less correct than シーフードリゾット, either... :confused:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  3. Arui Kashiwagi Senior Member

連れ(ツレ) is a companion. Basically it can be anyone, from a colleague to a close friend. But nowadays it often implies one's wife or husband.

Thus "硬いものが食べづらいツレ" means:
    my wife who is having difficulty eating tough food (because of her tonsillitis)

You're right. I don't see any difference too.
    Apparently the writer is trying to say that he sometimes forgets katakana because of his long stay in Shanghai. But even in this context, his opinion is quite weird, I'd say.

Generally speaking, Japanese people tend to feel that words borrowed from Western languages are 'cooler' than traditional Japanese ones.
    But I doubt if this is the case here, because he seems to be talking about correctness. And you know, both are correct. So frankly I have no idea.

4. Shatin Junior Member

Hong Kong
    Cantonese
    Thanks guys! That's one long relative clause! Didn't realize ツレ = 連れ. I thought the writer was talking about himself. I am often confused by katakana. Sigh. :(

Seems that sometimes a kanji word and a katakana can mean the same thing but used in different way. For example while both ミルク and 牛乳 mean milk. 牛乳 is what you actually drink, and ミルク is more a food ingredient. So I thought it could be that シーフード and 海鮮 are used in different ways. Apparently this is not the case.

5. frequency

frequency Senior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Japanese
    Shatin, ミルク、牛乳、シーフード、海鮮、either is OK. For example, if you visit a Chinese restaurant in Japan, I bet you find 海鮮粥 on the menu, however it is run by Japanese owner. In a restaurant with Western style, シーフードリゾット. Laughable, isn't it? But it's true. This is a matter of choice and 慣習 like, we say 牛乳粥 but don't ミルク粥 very much (it's allowable, though).

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  6. Shatin Junior Member

Hong Kong
    Cantonese
    Thanks for the clarifications, frequency! Incidentally, I like 海鮮粥. The next time I visit Japan, I must make sure I go to a Chinese restaurant, instead of eating Japanese food all the time! :p