1. The WordReference Forums are under attack from some Korean spammers.

We have created a filter that requires moderation intervention for all messages with Korean characters from new users. The impact should be minimal, but posts from new users will only appear after a few minutes delay.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in '한국어 (Korean)' started by vientito, Jan 2, 2014.

1. vientito Senior Member

This is such a vague word that even though I have encountered it so many times since the beginning I still have a hard time grasping its meaning. I have asked a native before but she could not even find the right way to explain to me.

I have cut and pasted two definitions I have found in naver, the first of which I could not quite understand the essence at all:
    (1) 그 됨됨이나 하기에 달림을 나타내는 말.
    (2) 각자가 가지고 있는 방식이나 깜냥을 이르는 말.

I got this sentence from a webtoon and I am not even sure what is the role of 나름 in this sentence

이 정도면 나름 온당한 거래 아닌가?

How could we use this word appropiately ?
  2. Kross

Kross Senior Member

Hello, vientito

Whether 나름 is placed in the sentence or not doesn't change the general idea of the sentence.

But a speaker tries to more clearly reveal his/her own viewpoint or choose one side on the deal using 나름,

one that can be interpreted in usually a couple of ways like yes, neutral, or no.

Even though the speaker already know that the deal might have some drawbacks,

or some people are criticizing it harshly, he/she however prefers to take a side after considering overall details.
  3. vientito Senior Member

Does it function more or less like the adverb, 꽤?

It feels like an adverb to me, but dictionary insists that it is classed as a 의존명사.
  4. Kross

Kross Senior Member

Hello again, vientito

꽤 sounds much stronger than 나름 in a certainty degree. 꽤 gives a strong impression that a speaker reveals his/her opinions freely. But

나름 is used when someone shows his/her viewpoints carefully, carining a listener's possible negative feelings and thoughts.

I personally think that 나름 is just a step forward from a neutral mindset like 50:50 to 60:40.

I agree that it looks like an adverb. But we all know that it's just a grammar thing. How you feel about this is more important.

That way you can use it in everyday conversation. :)
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  5. vientito Senior Member

Thank you for your helpful insight in this particular usage. I think I am beginning to get the feel for it now.