1. The WordReference Forums are under attack from some Korean spammers.

We have created a filter that requires moderation intervention for all messages with Korean characters from new users. The impact should be minimal, but posts from new users will only appear after a few minutes delay.

누나

Discussion in '한국어 (Korean)' started by Matasanos Madrileño, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Matasanos Madrileño Senior Member

Español-España
    누나 = nuuna
    Can we employ these word when I have a girlfriend??? or it is just a familiar term that I'd use with a female friend in a loving way to say "older friend", Can we use it when we are dating???

Thank you

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  2. rancet New Member

Korean
    누나 is very widely used. Instead, you have to use it only to call an older girl than you. We never say '누나' to younger,or the same age as us. In addition, you should avoid using it to big age gaped woman as your ant. It would be very weird.

3. Kross

Kross Senior Member

S.Korea
    Korean
    In theory, 누나 is an address term and is used only when a male brother calls his older sister in a bit polite way. But its usage has expanded recently . This term can applied to any older, but close females by males. so those girls don't have to be in his blood line any more. So you may pick up the word for, e.g, your girlfriend, fiancé, or even female acquaintances you just started to get to know. Don't forget the only rule: She has to be older than you.

4. Matasanos Madrileño Senior Member

Español-España
    I thought any man who would desire to have any affective relationship in terms of girlfriend would NOT use this word. The prejudice of dating an older woman is still very strong in korean culture...

5. Kross

Kross Senior Member

S.Korea
    Korean
    It doesn't matter if someone calls an older girl 누나 in a lovely way.

Some of parents generations think that way. But that culture in young generations becomes history now in Korea. One of my best friends married a woman who is 4 year older than he is. They live together happily now. There are many other (married) couples of this kind. Much part of Korean culture has been Westernized. That biased concept is no longer valid here in Korea.

6. Matasanos Madrileño Senior Member

Español-España
    Thank you Kross, you've been really helpful ^^

Sorry if I seemed a bit rude about my last comment...I' m not responsible for that xP, I actually don't know your culture... I just read that in a magazine, some time ago ...

Kind regards!!