1. The WordReference Forums are under attack from some Korean spammers.

We have created a filter that requires moderation intervention for all messages with Korean characters from new users. The impact should be minimal, but posts from new users will only appear after a few minutes delay.

-(느)ㄴ다는 것이

Discussion in '한국어 (Korean)' started by kuchikuchi, Aug 26, 2013.

1. kuchikuchi New Member

Singhala
    Hello! I am confused about this grammar pattern I saw,-(느)ㄴ다는 것이. From the Intermediate TOPIK 150 Essential Grammar Notes provided by TOPIK Guide, it was explained as "Explains the situation when the intention and result differ (I should have P1 but P2 happened)" but I am still confused because I didn't see a related sample sentence.. Additional notes included that it refers to the speaker's intention and it can't use imperative/suggestive..

I made a sentence based on how I understood the explanation. However, I am not sure if it is grammatically correct or if it is natural or weird. Here it is:

그 옷을 사는다는 것이 다 팔렸다고 들었어요.

Does that sentence make sense? Can anyone please enlighten me? I am really confused. :confused: Thank you in advance..

2. Kross

Kross Senior Member

S.Korea
    Korean
    ~는다는 것이 can be used when you initially planned to do something in the near past, but somehow or mistakenly did other things in reality that should have the same or similar value as the aforementioned thing. For example, I woke up in the morning and made up my mind to buy a pack of milk on the way back home from school because I was running out of milk. In the evening, I visited to a supermarket and bought other things, completely forgetting planning to buy a pack of milk. When arriving home, I suddenly realized that I did not buy a milk. But it was too late. Under this circumstance, we can say, ‘우유를 산다는 것이 깜박하고 다른 걸 사왔네.’

For your example, I feel sorry to say that is not correct. I’d say ‘그 옷을 산다는 것이 깜박하고 모자를 사버렸네’ for an example.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  3. kuchikuchi New Member

Singhala
    Thank you so much for the clear explanation! I was so confused because I couldn't find other explanations, thus, assumed that way. Now I get it. Thank you so much again! :)