1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  2. The WordReference Forums are under attack from some Korean spammers.

We have created a filter that requires moderation intervention for all messages with Korean characters from new users. The impact should be minimal, but posts from new users will only appear after a few minutes delay.

드리자면

Discussion in '한국어 (Korean)' started by idialegre, Jun 14, 2013.

1. idialegre Senior Member

Hamburg, Germany
    USA English
    In the song "Gentleman", there is the following line, which I don't quite understand.

이사람으로 말씀 드리자면 말이야.

In particular, I son't understand the grammatical function or significance of the particle -자 in 드리자면. What is the difference between 드리자면 and simply 드리면?

Thanks in advance!

2. Kross Senior Member

S.Korea
    Korean
    This is a very difficulty question to me. I guess a Korean grammar expert can answer it. As one of normal Koreans I would say that there is almost no difference between them in meaning.

3. idialegre Senior Member

Hamburg, Germany
    USA English
    Thanks, Kross, but how would you translate the line? "May I introduce myself?" Would that be correct?

4. whatiam New Member

Korean
    I think your translation is correct.

and the particle '자' sounds to me like "the request form". like ~하자. to add some subtle nuance.
    but as Kross mentioned, there was no significant difference between them.

5. Kross Senior Member

S.Korea
    Korean
    Yes, you are right. In my view, the line is more than formal and a bit arrogant (It's okay. We know it's a MV)because we normall do not use that level of formality when introducing myself in normal life.

6. idialegre Senior Member

Hamburg, Germany
    USA English
    What's MV?

7. Kross Senior Member

S.Korea
    Korean
    It is a reduced form for Music Video.