1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  2. The WordReference Forums are under attack from some Korean spammers.

We have created a filter that requires moderation intervention for all messages with Korean characters from new users. The impact should be minimal, but posts from new users will only appear after a few minutes delay.

들다, 풀다, 놓다, 펴다

Discussion in '한국어 (Korean)' started by alodia, Nov 4, 2012.

1. alodia Junior Member

Filipino - Tagalog
    Hi! This is, again, an item from 27회 한국어 능력시험 어휘 및 문법 section (중급):

짐을 ( ) 밖으로 나왔다.
    책상 위에 신문을 ( ) 두었다.
    아들의 전화를 받고 마음을 ( ).
    ① 들다 ② 풀다 ③ 놓다 ④ 펴다

* I know the answer is 놓다 but some of the choices can be used on some sentences while not on some. I tried reading, googling and naver-ing and can only come up with vague ideas about these 4 verbs.
    짐을 ( ) 밖으로 나왔다. You can say 짐을 들고 밖으로 나왔다, right? 짐을 풀고 밖으로 나왔다 is also possible, right? Of course 짐을 놓고 밖으로 나왔다. I googled 가방을 펴고 and I saw the phrase 구겨진 가방 펴는 방법. So I guess it’s possible but not often use. So one can carry a bag and go outside, unpack a bag and go outside, put down a bag and go outside and well yeah, unfold a bag and go outside.
    책상 위에 신문을 ( ) 두었다. Is it correct to say that 놓다 and 두다 comes in pair? 책상 위에 신문을 놓아 두었다. 놔 뒀어다. 신문을 들고 있다 is possible but not with 두다? And I guess 풀다 just doesn’t go with a 신문. But 신문을 펴다 is commonly used but does 펴다 go with 두다. Can one say 신문을 펴고 두었다?
    아들의 전화를 받고 마음을 ( ). 마음을 들다 is a very common idiom(?) which means to like something/someone but I don’t think it works in this context. 마음을 풀다 is also an idiom which means to ease one’s mind so I guess it could work. 마음을 놓다 also means to be at ease. When I googled 마음을 펴다 I didn’t get any results.

I'm not sure if I understood things correctly, so I hope someone can explain the usage/s of these 4 verbs, at least in the context of this item on TOPIK.

2. Your Korean is very good.

1. We can say 짐을 들고 밖으로 나왔다. 짐을 풀고 밖으로 나왔다. 짐을 놓고 밖으로 나왔다.
    2. We can say 책상 위에 신문을 놓아 두었다. 책상 위에 신문을 펴 두었다.
    3. We can say 아들의 전화를 받고 마음을 풀었다. 아들의 전화를 받고 마음을 놓았다.

The thing is the word 짐 and 가방 are different. As you said, you can say 구겨진 가방을 폈다 because 가방 indicates literally A bag. 짐 is a bit ambigous and means stuff. (If I say 나 짐이 많아., nobody knows how many bags I have. and 짐 can be a box or boxes or a bag..bags..) 신문을 펴 두었다 is fine to me because you can spread newspaper on the desk.

In the third question, when mother was angry about her son's rudeness so they might have a trouble, but after son's ringing, she reconciled with him. We describe this situation as 아들의 전화를 받고 마음을 풀었다.
    When one's young son enlisted to the army, one might worry about his being safe. After getting phone call from one's son, one would say 아들의 전화를 받고 마음을 놓았다.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  3. alodia Junior Member

Filipino - Tagalog
    Thank you so much Superhero1!!!

* a friend also pointed out that 마음 들다 is wrong because it should be 마음 들다. I always get my particles wrong!!! ㅠㅠ

Thanks again!!! These part of TOPIK has always been my weakness because of the slight nuances but I did learn a lot today and hopefully I'll get better at it as I practice more. :)