1. The WordReference Forums are under attack from some Korean spammers.

We have created a filter that requires moderation intervention for all messages with Korean characters from new users. The impact should be minimal, but posts from new users will only appear after a few minutes delay.

Discussion in '한국어 (Korean)' started by vientito, Sep 16, 2012.

1. vientito Senior Member

This is one verb that has so many different meanings, all depending on context. I'd like to quote a passage here and would like to know what meaning 떼다 has taken on

죄송하지만 제가 ‘조수일’ ‘하면서도’ ‘하루에’ ‘서너 번씩은’ ‘깨지는 ‘실력이거든요’.알바 ‘딱지도’ ‘어제 겨우 뗐고만,(뗐는데) ‘작가는’ 무슨...

알바 ‘딱지도’ : 알바 short for 아르바이 meaning a part-time gig
    딱지: this usually attaches to whatever noun to denote a extreme negative and contemptuous view of the speaker of the matter described

I am not sure what meaning 떼다 has in play here. Could it mean she got refused for a part-time job? Or does she mean she has obtained one?
  2. 경상남도로 오이소 Junior Member

딱지떼다 here means finished doing something. Usually denotes that the person has been promoted/gone to a higher level.

알바 딱지도 겨우 뗐고만--I have only just gotten my part-time job over and done with.

There's an expression "총각 딱지(를) 떼다". 총각 means, of course, unmarried man, so you can guess in which circumstances this is used. :p
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  3. vientito Senior Member

Got me puzzled when I search through this link

None of those 3 are close to the meaning that you mentioned.

The closest meaning I got from naver would be 권리를 없애거나 직위를 그만두게 하다 from 떼다 .

It's funny that the same verb could have a meaning either of "stop" or "begin" (ex. 발걸음을 떼다 , 입을 떼다) . Two quite opposite sense all embed in the same verb.
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  4. kenjoluma Senior Member

딱지 in this context means 'label'.
    This word means 'label', 'sticker', 'shell', 'scab', etc.

Rough translation might be:
    "I just took the 'part-timer' label off myself very recently... (so I'm not good at this)"
  5. vientito Senior Member

now I am aware the other meaning of 딱지 and thus everything makes sense to me. Thanks all for your help