1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  2. The WordReference Forums are under attack from some Korean spammers.

We have created a filter that requires moderation intervention for all messages with Korean characters from new users. The impact should be minimal, but posts from new users will only appear after a few minutes delay.

똥끝이 타다

Discussion in '한국어 (Korean)' started by slowlikemolasses, Jun 20, 2013.

1. slowlikemolasses Senior Member

English - US
    How close would you like someone to be with you before you would feel comfortable hearing them use the phrase 똥끝이 타다?

2. Kross Senior Member

S.Korea
    Korean
    Personally I have heard and used 똥줄이 탄다 much more than 똥끝이 탄다 although Both of them have the same meaning, 'to get anxious'. Either of them is more used in informal settings such as among close friends or acquaintances of similar ages.

3. ashitano Junior Member

Korean
    Very close.
    For example, I can't and wouldn't use this phrase to my boss. He or she would consider me so rude and strange. But If I worked with him or her more than 2 or 3 years and we are so close like any other close friends, I would be able to use this.
    But personally I don't use this phrase even to my co-workers, close friends and family members. And people around me don't use this so often.

4. jakartaman Senior Member

Korean
    똥줄 타다 is a common slang phrase. It's never 똥끝이 탄다--though it sounds hillarious :) As Kross said, it means "get very anxious or antzy." If it is used by a foreigner, it will definitely crack up a Korean. The term itself is somewhat funny. You use it among close friends. You may use it when your happy parents or boss is around but it shouldn't be directed toward them.

5. vientito Senior Member

cantonese
    Just how close in meaning is this to 애타다?

6. Kross Senior Member

S.Korea
    Korean
    [FONT=맑은 고딕]In my view they have the almost same meaning. So they are interchangeable. But there is a difference in usage. We usually don’t use 똥줄 타다 in a formal and polite setting, but in a casual and informal setting. As for 애가 타다, it is generally spoken in a formal and polite setting. [/FONT]