1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  2. The WordReference Forums are under attack from some Korean spammers.

We have created a filter that requires moderation intervention for all messages with Korean characters from new users. The impact should be minimal, but posts from new users will only appear after a few minutes delay.

몇월

Discussion in '한국어 (Korean)' started by vientito, Jan 27, 2013.

1. vientito Senior Member

cantonese
    do we pronounce it as

며춸 or 며둴 ?

I have heard 며둴 on a recent show and I could not believe my ears. I rewind a few times and still hear 며둴. Is this wrong?

2. 며둴 is correct. Believe your ears.

3. bonbon2023

bonbon2023 Senior Member

Korean(south)
    When '몇' is used as 관형사, there always comes one of noun, numeral, pronoun, and since '월' itself is bound-noun and lexical morpheme, 몇 월 is pronounced as [며둴]. So I agree with Superhero that 며둴 is correct pronunciation.

Also consider the following:
    Standard Pronunciation Rule(표준발음법)
    Article15, Chapter4: When a lexical morpheme that starts with one of the vowels 'ㅏ, ㅓ, ㅗ, ㅜ, ㅟ' follows, 받침, its sound is changed to representative sound, and thereby pronounced at the following syllable,
    e.g. 밭 아래[바다래] 늪 앞[느밥] 젖어미[저더미] 맛없다[마덥따] 겉옷[거돋] 헛웃음[허두슴] 꽃 위[꼬뒤] (http://krdic.naver.com/help.nhn?page=3-1-4)

The representative sound(대표음) refers to ‘ㄱ’, ‘ㄷ’, ‘ㅂ’, when phenomena such as final consonant ‘ㄱ, ㅋ, ㄲ’ are pronounced as 'ㄱ', final consonant ‘ㄷ, ㅌ, ㅅ, ㅈ, ㅊ’ as 'ㄷ', and final consonant ‘ㅂ, ㅍ’ as ‘ㅂ’ occur.