1. The WordReference Forums are under attack from some Korean spammers.

We have created a filter that requires moderation intervention for all messages with Korean characters from new users. The impact should be minimal, but posts from new users will only appear after a few minutes delay.

반쪽짜리

Discussion in '한국어 (Korean)' started by fillertombay, Jun 30, 2014.

1. fillertombay Junior Member

English
    Here is the whole sentence:

오만한 반 쪽짜리 신이여

Does this mean something like "You arrogant half-god!"? Does 반쪽짜리 imply the person doesn't live up to expectations of what they're supposed to be? That's my interpretation. Let me know if I'm off here!

Thanks!

2. kenjoluma Senior Member

Korean
    I think your interpretation is spot-on. Literal translation should go as: "You arrogant half-worth god."

I believe "half-god" in English means something else: A hybrid of God and a human commonly appearing in the Greek mythology. But in this Korean sentence, I think it has nothing to do with that... maybe.

3. fillertombay Junior Member

English
    Actually the character does appear to be a hybrid, so it seems the phrase perhaps coincidentally has the same meaning.

Thanks for the help!

4. Rance Senior Member

Korean
    Technically it can go either way, half-worth or demigod.
    It's possible that the writer probably meant both (as in not living up to expectation since he's a mere demigod, half the divineness).
    But without reading the whole book, I can't be conclude for sure.
    Anyhow 반쪽짜리 often conveys negative meaning.
    반신반인(means demigod) sounds a lot more neutral than 반쪽짜리 신.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014