1. The WordReference Forums are under attack from some Korean spammers.

We have created a filter that requires moderation intervention for all messages with Korean characters from new users. The impact should be minimal, but posts from new users will only appear after a few minutes delay.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in '한국어 (Korean)' started by fillertombay, Jun 30, 2014.

1. fillertombay Member

Here is the whole sentence:

오만한 반 쪽짜리 신이여

Does this mean something like "You arrogant half-god!"? Does 반쪽짜리 imply the person doesn't live up to expectations of what they're supposed to be? That's my interpretation. Let me know if I'm off here!

2. kenjoluma Senior Member

I think your interpretation is spot-on. Literal translation should go as: "You arrogant half-worth god."

I believe "half-god" in English means something else: A hybrid of God and a human commonly appearing in the Greek mythology. But in this Korean sentence, I think it has nothing to do with that... maybe.
  3. fillertombay Member

Actually the character does appear to be a hybrid, so it seems the phrase perhaps coincidentally has the same meaning.

Thanks for the help!
  4. Rance Senior Member

Technically it can go either way, half-worth or demigod.
    It's possible that the writer probably meant both (as in not living up to expectation since he's a mere demigod, half the divineness).
    But without reading the whole book, I can't be conclude for sure.
    Anyhow 반쪽짜리 often conveys negative meaning.
    반신반인(means demigod) sounds a lot more neutral than 반쪽짜리 신.
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2014