1. The WordReference Forums are under attack from some Korean spammers.

We have created a filter that requires moderation intervention for all messages with Korean characters from new users. The impact should be minimal, but posts from new users will only appear after a few minutes delay.

여부를 떠나다

Discussion in '한국어 (Korean)' started by idialegre, Jul 19, 2014.

1. idialegre Senior Member

Hamburg, Germany
    USA English
    In the following sentence from a newspaper article

하지만 이번 논란의 핵심은 북한의 인권실태에 대한 사실 여부를 떠나 어린 학생들이 보기에 적절하지 않은 동영상까지 이용하면서 수업을 해야할 필요가 있었을까, 란 부분이다.

I don't quite understand 여부를 떠나... As I understand it, the sentence means

"However, the crux of this controversy is whether (here's the part I don't quite understand - something concerning the claims about the human rights situation in North Korea) it was really necessary to give a lesson using a video inappropriate for young students."

Is 여부를 떠나다 a fixed expression?

Thanks for any help!

2. Kross

Kross Senior Member

S.Korea
    Korean
    Yes, that is one of the most common expressions that can be found in objective and logical writings like a news article. 여부를 떠나다 means "it doesn't matter whether something said before is true or not because it is not important in the big picture of the discussion" or "regardless of something said before being true or not." I'd translate your question in English like regardless of the (poor) situations of human rights in North Korea being true or not.

3. idialegre Senior Member

Hamburg, Germany
    USA English
    Kross 이렇게 빨리 답변해서 정말 고맙네요!