1. The WordReference Forums are under attack from some Korean spammers.

We have created a filter that requires moderation intervention for all messages with Korean characters from new users. The impact should be minimal, but posts from new users will only appear after a few minutes delay.
    Dismiss Notice

오페라의 유령이라는 전설적인 존재

Discussion in '한국어 (Korean)' started by RadkeRonnie, Sep 19, 2013.

1. RadkeRonnie Member

English - USA
    Hey everyone.

I'm currently translating Phantom of the Opera from Korean to English, and there's a sentence that's confusing me:

다만 그들은 그때 그 사건을 줄곧 이야기해오면서도, 정작 오페라의 유령이라는 전설적인 존재를 떠올리려는 생각만큼은 아직까지 못하고 있을 뿐이다.

My guess:

Even while they [those old people] constantly talk about those events of that time, I almost still can't actually think about things that bring up the existence of the legend known as the phantom of the opera.

There are several things I don't understand, but there's one thing that I want to discuss. For all linguists, I have a question about the hierarchy of the sentence.

Is the adjective phrase 오페라의 유령이라는 modifying the noun 전설, which afterwards turns into an adjective by taking the suffix 적 and adding 인? Can I do this with all nouns that take -적?

For example, could I say 건전하는 합리전으로 생각한다, with the logic that 건전하는 modifies the noun 합리, which later turns into an adverb with 적으로?
    (Thinks with sound reason)

강력한 열정적으로 사랑한다?
    (Loves with strong passion)

Thanks everyone.
  2. Stassri Member

'오페라의 유령이라는' is modifying '존재'.

No, you can't do this with any nouns that take -적.
  3. RadkeRonnie Member

English - USA

이제 이해했을 거예요. 그럼 이 문장에는, "존재"라는 단어는 "사람"이나 "생명체"와 같은 뜻이 있어요?
  4. Stassri Member

Why not?
    존재 = being
  5. Rance Senior Member

I don't agree with Stassri.
    Being can mean something that simply exists or a living thing.
    존재 has the meaning of the former not the latter.

"오페라의 유령이라는 전설적인 존재" does not imply that the ghost is actually 사람 or 생명체.