1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  2. The WordReference Forums are under attack from some Korean spammers.

Updated: We have created a filter that requires moderation intervention for all messages with Korean characters from new users. The impact should be minimal, but new questions will only appear after a few minutes delat.

외워요

Discussion in '한국어 (Korean)' started by ateters, Nov 7, 2012.

1. ateters Senior Member

Oregon, US
    English
    I tried searching for '외워요' and came up with nothing. Does someone know what it means?

2. to learn in such a way that you can say it from memory, i.e. Memorise.

3. ateters Senior Member

Oregon, US
    English
    감사합니다 Superhero :)

4. rumistar

rumistar Senior Member

Korean
    Hello, Ateters. :) I'd like to let you know one thing.
    The basic form of all the verbs and
    *adjectives in Korean ends with the word "다"
    So please remember this↑ , when you search for some Korean words :)
    외워요, the basic form is 외우다.
    외워요 consists of 외우+어(다 changed to 어)+
    ☞외워요 consists of the stem of the verb "외우다
    "+ending of a verb, which is 어미 in Korean+an auxiliary marker, 보조사 in Korean.
    I don't know how to call 보조사 in English, because this concept doesn't exist in English, it is different to prepositions. So I just named it an auxiliary marker.
    Speakers/writers use
    at the end of the sentence, when they talk/write e-mail or something like that,
    to show their politeness
    , especially to the old, someone who you meet for the first time or someone like this.

As for
    adjectives in Korean ...
    ─This is different part as compared to English, we use adjectives like verbs.
    I mean, for example, 그녀는 아름답다. In this sentence, the sentence structure is subject(a pronoun)
    +an auxiliary marker, 보조사 in Korean+an adjective.
    But, in English, I will put this Korean sentence into English. It would be this, "She is beautiful". Now as you see, there is a "be" verb in the sentence.
    I know this is somewhat tricky to some foreigners. In Korean, 관형사 performs similar function as adjectives do in English.
    Last but not least, please note that
    adjectives in Korean also can modify nouns but they should change their forms!

I just want to let know this you and the other foreigners who will read this thread someday. :)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  5. ateters Senior Member

Oregon, US
    English
    감사합니다 Rumistar :)