1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  2. The WordReference Forums are under attack from some Korean spammers.

Updated: We have created a filter that requires moderation intervention for all messages with Korean characters from new users. The impact should be minimal, but new questions will only appear after a few minutes delat.

일구월심 그리던, 어이하리, 니나노 난실로

Discussion in '한국어 (Korean)' started by RadkeRonnie, Aug 10, 2013.

1. RadkeRonnie Junior Member

English - USA
    I'm currently translating the song 닐리리야 (as sung by 송소희) into English for my own understanding. There are a few lines that I don't understand. I bolded the particular words that are giving me trouble.

일구월심 그리던 님 어느 시절에 만나 볼까.
    어제 청춘, 오늘 백발, 가는 세월을 어이하리.
    니나노 난실로 내가 돌아간다. (I'm guessing that 니나노 doesn't mean anything.)

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Kross Senior Member

S.Korea
    Korean
    일구월심 그리던 님: You who (I) miss more intently as time passes by.

(가는 세월을) 어이하리: How can I handle (passing days)?

니나노 난실로: I found out this online, So it has be to be checked again later. 니나노 here has two meanings. One is a lady room. The other is it acts as a hook in the song. 난실 here means a room of the lady who is as beautiful as a flower(난). With two parts combined together, they mean that (I enter) a beautiful lady’s room.

3. RadkeRonnie Junior Member

English - USA
    Wow, that's really helpful! Thank you so much!

That leaves me with a few questions, though.

1) What part of speech is 일구월심, and how can I use it in a sentence?
    2) Is 그리던 the normal way to combine 그립다 and 던, or is it an archaic/poetic form? Does this mean that I can say things like 아름다던 and 즐거던?

Thanks so much.

4. Kross Senior Member

S.Korea
    Korean
    1) The exact 일구월심 part is ‘more intently as time passes by.’. Since it is a very archaic literature expression, people hardly use it in a daily conversation maybe except for scholars.

2) 그리던 is an adjective and its basic form is 그리다 that is a verb. Personally I think that it has gone too far to look at the word, 그리던, in an archaic and poetic perspective. But there might be a possibility that the word has a literature meaning in the song.

Yes, you can say 아름답던 and 즐겁던.

5. vientito Senior Member

cantonese
  6. RadkeRonnie Junior Member

English - USA
    Thanks, vientito. I didn't understand that 그리다 meant "to miss."

Thanks for your explanations, Kross.