1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  2. The WordReference Forums are under attack from some Korean spammers.

We have created a filter that requires moderation intervention for all messages with Korean characters from new users. The impact should be minimal, but posts from new users will only appear after a few minutes delay.

찌머 and 너 sentence endings

Discussion in '한국어 (Korean)' started by languageheart, Jun 26, 2013.

1. languageheart New Member

Japan
    English
    Hello. I'm new here. Been spending the day reading previous posts and I've learnt so much in one day! I'm really glad I found this forum. :)

Recently, I'm hearing a lot of 찌머 and 너 sentence endings (hope I 'spelled' them right) in Korean dramas.
    My books and dictionaries didn't help. I tried the Internet and that's how I ended up here. Lol

Example sentences:
    그렇게찌머
    이러다 죽겠찌머
    What does 찌머 imply? How is it used?
    and for 어, I hear them saying like 괜찮어 instead of 괜찮아. Is there a difference? How does the rule work? Some examples would be a great help. Thanks!

2. Kross Senior Member

S.Korea
    Korean
    Hello, languageheart

When it comes to 찌머, the correct spellings for your first two examples are 그렇겠지 뭐, 이러다 죽겠지 뭐 respectively. Now you can see that 뭐 here is independent from 찌 in 찌머. You should write them separately like ~지∨뭐. 뭐 here act as an exclamation. It has many definitions even within the category of the exclamation. 뭐 here in your examples means that a speaker hopelessly accepts a fact or result he/she is faced with.

A: I wish I could, but I have to work late at work tonight, so have no time to go out for a movie with you this evening. Sorry about that. I should have told you earlier about this.
    B: 시간이 없다면 어쩔 수 없지 뭐. ‘Well, if you don’t have time, I have no choice but to accept it.’

There is few, if any, difference between 괜찮어 and 괜찮아. They both mean okay, fine, nice and so on depending on the context.

3. languageheart New Member

Japan
    English
    Thank you so much, Kross! I've been wondering for so long.

Now I know it's ~지∨뭐, I am sure I can find more examples on the internet.
    Your explanations are always very good. Thanks again!

4. Kross Senior Member

S.Korea
    Korean
    Hello again, languageheart
    When I wrote the last reply, I was not sure about 괜찮어/괜찮아. So I asked them of an expert of Korean. They say that only 괜찮아 is a Standard Korean word.

5. languageheart New Member

Japan
    English
    Thanks Kross. I really appreciate your effort.
    Could you please tell me when it is appropriate to use 괜찮어?
    From what I gathered, among people you are close with?

6. Kross Senior Member

S.Korea
    Korean
    Yes, you are right. 괜찮아(?) can be used among those who are on 반말 terms for example, couples and close friends. 괜찮아? as a question sentence can vary in meaning. For example, Are you okay? Or How do I look?

7. languageheart New Member

Japan
    English
    Thank you.

8. idialegre Senior Member

Hamburg, Germany
    USA English
    I can't quite figure out what this means. Could someone translate it into English, please? Thanks!

9. Kross Senior Member

S.Korea
    Korean
    I guess I'd die living like this. Any better translations will be welcome. :)

10. languageheart New Member

Japan
    English
    From what I understand...correct me if I'm wrong...

"I'll die if (something) goes on like this."
    The 'something' will depend on the context.

11. Kross Senior Member

S.Korea
    Korean
    [FONT=맑은 고딕]뭐 here adds the meaning of uncertainty, guess, assumption, or something like that to the sentence. Your example is fine as it is, but if the said connotation is added, it will be a better translation very close to the Korean expression. How about placing ‘I guess’ in front of your example like I guess I’ll die if (something) goes on like this? [/FONT]

12. languageheart New Member

Japan
    English
    Yes, I agree Kross. Thank you.

13. Airen_dingding

Airen_dingding New Member

Chinese
    hi, languageheart,

I'm also new here and just selflearned Korean for less then one year. Korean people use wrong words in oral but all others can accept it because too many people use it in the same wrong way.
    writen→ oral (it's wrong but acceptable)
    바빠 → 바뻐
    알아 → 알어
    아파 → 아퍼
    받아 → 받어

So I think 괜찮아 is correct in written Karean but 괜찮어 is ok in oral Korean. Hope this can help you.

14. languageheart New Member

Japan
    English
    Hi Airen_dingding and thanks.
    The fact that what we hear is different from what we read makes spelling Korean so much harder than say Japanese or Chinese. It's interesting though.

You might have read it but I found this the other time.
    http://tr.hjenglish.com/page/514811/