1. The WordReference Forums are under attack from some Korean spammers.

We have created a filter that requires moderation intervention for all messages with Korean characters from new users. The impact should be minimal, but posts from new users will only appear after a few minutes delay.
    Dismiss Notice

튀어나오다, 뛰어나오다

Discussion in '한국어 (Korean)' started by vientito, Jun 4, 2012.

1. vientito Senior Member

Do they have exactly same meaning when referring to action?
  2. kenjoluma Senior Member

If you are an civilised person with adequate respect for humanity, you never say '튀다' or '튀어나오다' to describe action of another fellow human being.

튀다 means 'to bounce', and this word is generally reserved for objects, not for people.

If it is for people, there are some exceptions:
    1. Of course, it can be 'to run away (esp. from the police or the authority after you do something illegal/wrong)'.
    2. It also can be used as an imperative in a derogative manner.
    3. I believe someone with a sense of humour can use this word in order to jokingly describe one's (or other's) action.
    4. (somewhat related to #2) It can be used to exaggerate speaker's frustration or surprise.
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  3. vientito Senior Member

Thank you for pointing out the connotation. Now I think I understand and appreciate more the specific context in which I found the usage of 튀어가.
  4. lizanble

lizanble New Member

5. bonbon2023

bonbon2023 Senior Member

튀어나오다:1-1 Bounce out
    Be careful because you don't know where ghosts are going to appear themselves in the ghost house. (You can also use 튀어나오다 in this situation, but this is quite informal. If you want want to be formal and seem polite, you should use 나타나다.)
  6. Kakchies New Member

Indonesian English
    Aish.. I dont really understand =_=
  7. 경상남도로 오이소 Member

제가 초등학교 때 호랑이선생님이 한 분 계셨는데, 조회시간에 뒤에서 말 안듣는 애가 있으면 "저기 뒤에서 떠드는 놈 튀어나와!" 이런 식으로 말씀하곤 하셨죠. 그러고는 엎드려서 "빠따"를 맞았어요.

한국의 학교가 참 생각보다 무섭습니다. haha