1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  2. The WordReference Forums are under attack from some Korean spammers.

We have created a filter that requires moderation intervention for all messages with Korean characters from new users. The impact should be minimal, but posts from new users will only appear after a few minutes delay.

~하도록

Discussion in '한국어 (Korean)' started by devientmelody, Jul 14, 2014.

1. devientmelody New Member

English
    I wonder what makes 도록 unique?
    고민을 예기 하도록 하겠습니다. vs 고민을 예기 하겠습니다.(I expect there will be difficulties.)

[FONT=돋움]초등학생이 마음대로 게임을 하도록 해야 한다. vs [/FONT][FONT=돋움]초등학생이 마음대로 게임를[/FONT][FONT=돋움] 해야 [/FONT][FONT=돋움]한다.[/FONT][FONT=돋움] (Children must play game that they like.)

I only understand 도록 as 'to the extend of' or 'until when'. so the above example seems foreign.

[/FONT]

2. yonh Junior Member

Korean
    First of all, I recommend you Naver or Daum dictionary. You can find reliable definitions and examples there.
    -도록 is unique when each subject of predicates is different.
    The subject of '게임을 하다' is 초등학생, while that of '해야 한다' is perhaps their parents or the public. If so, the sentence means "people (or parents) should let children play game freely." It could be more specific if there is a context.
    Likewise, maybe each subject of '예기하다' and '하겠습니다' is different. But again, context is needed. And if you did not make the example, probably 예기 is a typo for 얘기. Because 얘기하다(to talk) is more natural and idiomatic than 예기하다(to foresee) in this sentence.