1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

1x, 2x, 100x

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by Encolpius, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    Hello, I wonder if you read that also like "once, twice, hundred times" etc...?
    In Czech and Hungarian 1x means once, etc..
    If I am not mistaken in English speaking countries it is incomprehensible... :confused:
    Thanks

2. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    In hebrwew its applicable.

3. Awwal12 Senior Member

Moscow, the RF
    Russian
    At least it is not a conventional way to read that and write the respective phrases down in Russian. (I cannot guarantee, of course, that it will never be read that way by anybody, or that nobody can write down "трижды" as 3x.)

4. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

Ankara
    Turkish
    That wouldn't make immediate sense in Turkish.
    the word for times, as in 5 times, is "kere, defa, kez".
    But the sign x is called "çarpı".

If you wrote: Oraya 3x gittim (to mean "I went there three times") people would be puzzled.

5. apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    In Greek 1x can be read as:

«άπαξ» ['apaks] (adv.) --> once < Classical adv. ἅπαξ hápāks < compound; masc. numeral «εἷς» heîs --> one (PIE *sḗm-, one cf Lat. semel, semper) + adj. «πᾶς» pâs (masc.) --> whole, all, every (PIE *ph₂-ent-, all)

2x:

«δις» [ðis] (adv.) --> twice < Classical adv. «δίς» dís (PIE *dui-s-, twice cf Skt. द्वि (dvi), Lat. bis)

3x:

«τρις» [tris] (adv.) --> thrice < Classical adv. «τρίς» trís (PIE *tri-s-, thrice cf Skt. त्रिस् (tris), Lat. ter).

From four and above, the adverb is constructed by using the compound form of the numeral + adverbial suffix «-άκις» -ákīs --> often (inhereted from PIE with uncertain explanation), whence:

4x:

«Τετράκις» (adv.) --> four times < Classical adv. «τετράκις» tĕtrákīs

5x:

«Πεντάκις» [pen'dakis] (adv.) --> five times < Classical adv. «πεντάκις» pĕntákīs

100x

«εκατοντάκις» [ekaton'dakis] (adv.) --> one hundred times < Classical adv. «ἑκατοντάκις» hĕkătŏntákīs
    etc.

In the vernacular we prefer though when we see 1x, 2x, to use the periphrases «μία φορά» ['mi.a fo'a] --> one instance, «δύο φορές» ['ði.o fo'res] --> two instances....«εκατό φορές» [eka'to fo'res] --> one hundred instances

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  6. bibax Senior Member

Czech
    In Czech the character "x" means "iks" and not "times". Thus we read 2x as "two iks" (like 2y as "two ypsilon").

The sign for "times" (multiplication) is ×. The substitution x for × is merely a laziness and a habit from the times of the mechanical typewriters with limited number of types. Now you can simply write × or ÷ by pressing AltGr + ] or AltGr + [.

So we should have to write 1×, 2×, 100× :tick:, etc., not 1x, 2x, 100x :cross:.

7. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    :rolleyes: I wonder how many people of 10 000 would use the ALtG+ to get the correct sign, the main thing is so far everybody understood what I meant...I just hope your comment will not confuse others to come...

8. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    This convention is used in English shorthand writing as well.

9. learnerr Senior Member

Russian
    Somehow in Russia this idea is not connected with multiplication… I.e., sure we have трижды пять пятнадцать (3 ⋅ 5 = 15), but usually the word умножить is used instead: семь умножить на двадцать два равно сто пятьдесят четыре (7 ⋅ 22 = 154); so, these funny phrases with трижды or дважды are not analysed by speakers.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  10. bibax Senior Member

Czech
    I am not entirely convinced that everybody understood what you meant.

IMO, the question is not how to say once, twice, etc. in your language. The question is whether in your language the following sentence

“Before the rooster crows twice, you will deny three times that you even know me.”

can be rewritten this way

“Before the rooster crows 2x, you will deny 3x that you even know me.”

(or more properly, using the "times" sign ×,

“Before the rooster crows 2×, you will deny 3× that you even know me.”)

11. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    I see I missed the point.

In Polish we would read "1x" as "jeden razy" (outside the context of pure mathematics).

To my experience, constructions like 2x/3x/100x/etc. are used sparingly in common texts, and even then these are, for instance, adverts. I'd say they are usually used where you can allow yourself a certain dose of informality. As far as I can tell the "x" means "times" (here is an example). Other than that this notation may well be a shorthand writing convention used for practical purposes by some people, who may apply other meanings to it.

12. apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    I think almost everyone has understood what Encolpius want's to know.
    By the way, Encolpius, we tend to use x2 or x4 instead of 2x or 4x in a sentence. And it's not considered "proper" language

13. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    It is so unique I cannot believe it, very interesting comment, Apmoy

14. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    To further my answer:
    in hebrew there's a suffix for twice - so much two is infused in our life that it has become to have a suffix for two, not just single and many - -ayim is the suffix.
    if not the suffix we have a prefix from 1 to 10 more or less, then for the common bases (16, 64 etc etc) and for round numbers (10 100 1000 etc).
    though not really used that way it is applicable; people though, above 3-4, use the equivalent of 'times'.

15. mataripis Senior Member

x in Tagalog is "Ulit" but not commonly used. So 10x is sampung ulit.

16. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    Really no other answers? Here is a fantastic example form WR...

17. Radioh

Radioh Senior Member

Australia
    Vietnamese
    Hi. I'd have had no idea what 1x, 2x, 100x,...were supposed to mean if I hadn't read this thread. I'm only familiar with x1, x2, x100,..
    R.

18. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    Hello, Radioh, very interesting comment...but what does x1, x2, x100 mean in Vietnam? :confused:

19. Radioh

Radioh Senior Member

Australia
    Vietnamese
    Greetings, Encolpius :) x1 means 'once', x2 means 'twice'(to me). But I only see these notations in song lyrics. I've never seen 'number + x' structure used. And please have a look at this Wikipedia article, I think it might interest you.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/9X_Generation

20. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    Really very interesting, Radioh. I have learnt 1× might exist in French, so the origin might be of French.
    Interesting article, but that's another cup of tea....just read the answer #6 to find it is not 1X but 1×.
    And X can mean in English (I am sure now) the part of a word, e.g: Dx instead of diagnosis in medical slang...

21. bibax Senior Member

Czech
    According to this article in German Wikipedia:

Das Malkreuz × wird eingesetzt

• wenn nur der linke Faktor angegeben ist, also im Sinne von -mal oder -fach: Vergrößerung: 6×
    etc.

22. Radioh

Radioh Senior Member

Australia
    Vietnamese
    I learn something new every day! Thanks, E.

23. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    Yes, that makes me think that I can read zoom 12× on my camera...but it is 12-fold, so a little but different. but it exists in English....

24. Holger2014 Senior Member

German
    This might be slightly off-topic but in Germany x (often spelled like 'x', probably mathematically incorrect) is sometimes used in lists of articles:
    5 x Artikel 34445
    3 x Artikel 44335

In mathematics it can be used as well (considered unprofessional, though) as the usual 'dot' sign can sometimes be almost invisible.

Isn't it used in English in the combination 4x4 as well? (four by four, four-wheel driven car)

25. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    Hello Holger2014 and welcome to the forum. I hope you will participate as much as possible, we need the German language members here so much.
    Can you imagine a title of a German topic here like: Warum verwendet man Presen Perfect in diesem Satz?

26. Holger2014 Senior Member

German
    Yes, "2 x Present Perfect" would definitely not be misunderstood, even though in more official usage we would rather put it like this: "Warum verwendet man zweimal [=twice] Present Perfect in diesem Satz?" "2 x" could be described as "shorthand" for "zweimal". - One of the things I find interesting about the 'All languages' forum in general is that you find out more about the practical use of languages (by native speakers), in addition to all the theoretical information you can get elsewhere, especially with regard to the "smaller" languages of the world. Always something to be discovered...

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  27. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    Thanks, Holger! :thumbsup: