4,5 миллиона киловатт

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by Dolokhov, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Dolokhov Member

can anybody please tell me why is "киловатт" used here instead of the genitive plural "киловаттов"? On what grammatical rule is this usage based?

Thank you.
  2. gvozd Senior Member

There's no grammatical rule which can explain anything of this kind. Sometimes a noun in the genitive plural is exactly the same as in the nominative singular. Один (1) человек - пять (5) человек. All you can do is to try to memorize all these forms for loads of words.
  3. Dolokhov Member

Thank you for your explanation, which, however, does not convince me. The genitive plural of "kilovatt" is by no means the same as its nominative singular (as I said in the original post, it is "kilovattov"). I think the word used here cannot be a genitive plural. Anyway, many thanks.
  4. Sobakus Senior Member

Oh, but it is. In many cases like this there are two Gen. Plurals though, and nobody's sure which one to use, myself included.
  5. lectrice Senior Member

Toronto, Canada
    ...У существительных мужского рода в родительном падеже во множественном числе наряду с основным окончанием -ов (-ев) наблюдается вариантное нулевое окончание у существительных, обозначающих:

• единицы измерения (пять ампер, сто киловатт, тысяча рентген),...
  6. Maroseika Moderator

Родительный падеж на -ов у единиц измерения - устарелый или устаревающий вариант (там, где вообще есть варианты, конечно; метры и ньютоны, например, - без вариантов).
  7. Dolokhov Member

Now I see that there are more than one plurals for some nouns. But the dictionary I used only showed the -ov ended one. I'm sorry for the carelessness of my previous reply. Thank you for the clarification.
  8. Maroseika Moderator

Try this one.