4. Do parking meters allow free parking on weekends?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by reginaregina, Apr 3, 2011.

1. reginaregina Senior Member

Do parking meters allow free parking on weekends?

I want to say if you can park in front of the parking meter for free on weekends. Thank you.
  2. Fabulist Banned

Annandale, Virginia, USA
    American English
    It sounds like you want to ask whether, not say if, parking meters allow free parking on weekends. The first sentence in your post is a good way to find that out.

The answer is going to vary from city to city and even from neighborhood to neighborhood or block to block. The only way I know of to be sure is to read the meter itself or any signs posted on the block.
  3. reginaregina Senior Member

Thank you so much.
  4. jiamajia

jiamajia Senior Member

I agree with Fabulist. Actually, I have never seen a parking meter that requires feeding between 10pm and 6am. So, you could park free on weekdays too.

If you want to say 'parking is free on weekends', you could say: there is no need to feed parking meters on weekends.
  5. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    Actually, parking meters, do not allow or forbid any kind of parking. The rules are made by some governmental authority.

The inanimate meters only show whether one has paid for the appropriate time period, but might carry some sort of information as to the rules imposed elsewhere.

I also note that the old-fashioned meters seem to be disappearing, at least around here, as well as many other locations. They are being replaced by machines that print little tickets to be displayed inside the vehicles.

jiamajia's suggestions are good.
  6. idialegre Senior Member

Hamburg, Germany
    USA English
    Go to Honolulu, you'll see plenty of them.:cool: