4x4 4by4 4WD SUV AWD 2x4

Discussion in 'English Only' started by petite, Apr 14, 2005.

1. petite New Member

Guangzhou广州
    China Chinese
    What does "4by4"mean?

2. Robert Bennie Banned

Byron Bay Australia
    Australia - Australian
    G'day petite

A 4by4 means a car or truck with 4 wheels and that power is available to all four wheels not just to two wheels which is a 2by4

Both terms are often written as 4X4 or 2X4

I hope this helps you.

See you later

Robert

3. petite New Member

Guangzhou广州
    China Chinese
    Hello,
    Robert Bennie ,thank you very much.I've heard of 4by4 for many times,but I didn't understand it.I will tell my friend about it.Thanks for your help.

4. LadyBlakeney

LadyBlakeney Senior Member

Madrid
    Spain
    Hello,

Another question related to this: Is an SUV (Sport Utility Vehicle) ALWAYS a 4 by 4, or can it be a different type of car? This is probably a very silly question, but the concept of SUV is quite new in Spain, and I don't know if a SUV is equivalent to the Spanish "monovolumen".

Thank you very much in advance.

5. garryknight Senior Member

Kent, UK
    UK, English
    A 'monovolumen' is what is called a 'people carrier' these days. It used to be called a mini-van. They tend to have 6-12 seats and are used for ferrying children back and forth from school, two-family picnics, and so on. I haven't driven one so I don't know if they're 4x4s or not.

An SUV is a Sports/Utility Vehicle which is occasionaly used off-road and sometimes (illegally in my country) has bull-bars on the front, which might make the vehicle less prone to damage in a crash but makes it more likely that anyone you run into will be killed outright. Unfortunately, people buy an SUV and use it to ferry children to and from school, and there's quite a bit of protest about that over here. SUV's tend to have the same number of seats as ordinary cars. While it wouldn't make sense to manufacture an SUV with 2-wheel drive, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the cheaper ones aren't 4x4.

6. mzsweeett

mzsweeett Senior Member

USA
    USA, American English
    Well my friend, ther are both sorts of SUV (sport utility vehicle) I have a Mountaineer. It seats 7 people, and has AWD. This means that is is in 4 wheel drive all the time. My hubby had a Jeep and it was able to switch between 2x4 and 4x4 depending on the conditions.
    SUV's have abad tendency to roll over when going fast around turns, so care must be taken with them. I had a van too. I hated it, it fit the same number of people as my SUV, but ate up 3x more gas!!! I don't have the bull bars on mine, although by brother in law has them on his.
    The 4x4 vehicles are great in bad weather, good weather whatever youwant. We also have a hitch on it to pull things and attach things. My family goes camping evey summer, so we use the hitch as an extension of our trunk. If you try a GM or JEEP website then you will find good descriptions and pictures too. If I find any of mine I will show you.

Coffee anyone?? Fresh brewed!!!

Sweet T.

7. LadyBlakeney

LadyBlakeney Senior Member

Madrid
    Spain
    Thank you very much, Garry Mzsweeett!!!

8. NTFS

NTFS Banned

XXXXXX
    Account Closed due to security reasons
    4x4 v.s. 4-wheel-drive

is there a difference? I haven't seen a car that is 4x4 but 4-wheel-drive instead.

I'll just post my idea later...:p

;) NTFS

9. francois Senior Member

France
    France Vendée
    Hello,
    I am not sure that SUV are always 4-wheel drive but for example in France we don't make any difference between 4 or 2-wheel drive cars. Theese cars are usually confortable, I mean SUV, not really made to go in the countryside or in the mud but they look like 4x4 cars. And I am sure that ,in France, many people buy 2-wheel drives cars thinking that they are 4x4

10. mzsweeett

mzsweeett Senior Member

USA
    USA, American English
    Well AWD is always 4x4; but 4x4 is not always AWD. If you have an SUV it can have both as stated in my previous post.
    In America, the car must state which type of vehicle it is...2x4 FWD/ RWD, AWD 4x4, or 2x4 with 4x4. All the vehicles are specified. That is how they will also determine how much it will cost. A car with 4x4 will undoubtedly cost more than a standard 2x4 version.
    ex: a 2x4 suv may sell for $16,000.00 while its counterpart 4x4 will sell for $18,000.00
    HTH???

Sweet T.

11. NTFS

NTFS Banned

XXXXXX
    hi sweett,

so I guess my idea is correct, a 4-wheel-drive is an all-time-4-wheel-drive vehicle {mostly cars such as rally-type cars (e.g.Mitsubishi EVO, Subaru Impreza, etc.)} while 4x4 have a what we call "HUB" to switch from 2x4 to 4x4 and vice-versa.

you also said that there you have to state whether it'll be FWD, RWD, etc... do you also have to state whether it's a FF(Front-Engine,Front Wheel Drive), FR(Front-Engine, Rear Wheel Drive) or MR(Mid-Engine, Rear Wheel Drive)?

NTFS;)

12. mzsweeett

mzsweeett Senior Member

USA
    USA, American English
    No..... front engine, mid engine are not stated at all. In fact this is the first time I have heard of that. I worked in the auto business for several years, and this has been my experience. But it is possible that your statments are there, and that I have just not encountered them.
    Rally type of cars, or regular cars, SUV's trucks all with the capacity to drive have some sort of specification written on it. It doesn't have to be a rally type vehicle that is 4x4 or have the "hub" as you call it. I will try to find some pictures to illustrate. I am having difficulty describing it in words. Perhaps I need some of Te Gato's chocolate to go along with my coffee.......

Sweet T :D :D :D

13. NTFS

NTFS Banned

XXXXXX
    actually these terms FF, FR, MR are technical terms commonly used by car tuners or companies that sell or manufacture after-market performance parts for cars (HKS, Blitz, etc.). they need to know the engine layout of your car to provide you to the most suitable part. and these layouts affect the cars handling especially on corners. FF handles very easy and best for cornering, FR the car tends to drift or slide when cornering having the engine infront and the driving wheel at the back w/c is lighter. MR you'll have a hard time on corners having less traction in front but these type are best for drag racing having the weight at the back. but nothing beats 4-wheel-drive when i comes to cornering especially having LSD (Limited Slip Differential)... sorry for becoming too technical here...:eek:

oh ok thanks so much... pictures will be of great help:thumbsup: May I have some chocolotes too???:D

Saludos!
    :D NTFS

14. mzsweeett

mzsweeett Senior Member

USA
    USA, American English
    Well that explains it all. my background is in the reapir end and sales. I worked at dealerships where those terms would not be used. The mechanics themselves would have that knowledge. Thanks for the explanation. Now I love my SUV even more!!! LOL
    Of course, do you like regular or chocolate flavored coffee to accompany?? I also have creme brulee and vanilla cinnamon flavors!! I shall try to get the pictures shortly.

Hugs,

Sweet T.

15. NTFS

NTFS Banned

XXXXXX
    ah i see... I'm more into tuning cars and drag racing together w/ my friends... we love to hear the roaring sound of the engine and the smell of burning rubber:) You should love your SUV, it's cheaper to maintain than tuned cars... oh my and the gasoline 33 Pesos (Philippine Peso) per liter thats about $0.6/L:eek: . diesel engines are more efficient than gas types.

wow... yummy!:D Thanks!

Abrazos!
    NTFS;)

p.s. your avatar looks familiar... hmmm looks like one of artrellas avatar... lol:)

16. gotitadeleche Senior Member

Texas, U.S.A.
    U.S.A. English
    Hmmm...context means alot. The first thing I thought of when I saw the title of this thread was a piece of lumber nominally 4" x 4" (and called a four-by-four), but actually measures 3 1/2" X 3 1/2". :)

17. daviesri Senior Member

Houston, TX
    USA English
    Another definition of the term 4 by 4 (4x4) is a measurement of a piece of lumber which measure 4 inches by 4 inches which actually truly measures 3.5" by 3.5".

18. te gato

te gato Senior Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    Hey NTFS;
    There is a slight difference...4x4 is another another name for 4 wheel drive...but 4x4 is used to describe the part time system..now AWD..All wheel drive..is a 4x4 full time system but is on all the time..and usually can not be shut off...
    For example..I have a Dodge Dakota Sport..4x4...it has 4 wheel drive...
    I can have it in regular drive...or partial 2x4 drive...or full 4x4 part time ...or 4x4 full time...
    So all this means is that when you need power sent from the motor..to the drivetrain..then to the wheels you have it...
    regular drive..no extra power sent to the wheels...
    2x4 drive...extra power sent to only 2 wheels...
    Part time full 4x4...extra power sent to all four wheels..but only when needed..
    Full time 4x4...extra power sent to all four wheels..all the time...

te gato;)

19. mjscott Senior Member

4WD vehicles are the ones that have slid off the sides of the roads into ditches because they think they can still go 70 mph (about 113 km/hr) on black ice!

20. te gato

te gato Senior Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Hey MZ....Stop giving away my CHOCOLATE!!!:D
    I will try and help here...the only reference to the engine..is that the power comes from the engine..goes to the drivetrain...then from the drivetrain to the wheels....
    I will share my chocolate if I can have some of your coffee....
    I tried to put a picture of my 4x4 in here but the picture is too large..
    te gato;)

21. mzsweeett

mzsweeett Senior Member

USA
    USA, American English
    LMAO!!!!I will ALWAYS share my coffee...so long as the strength of it doesn't carry you away!!;) :D Yes, I had the same problems trying to attach pics of 4x4 vehicles as well. I am sorry but as of yet I still can't get a website to come on the post :( Boy am I having a time tonight.

Sweet T.

22. te gato

te gato Senior Member

Calgary, Alberta
  23. mzsweeett

mzsweeett Senior Member

USA
    USA, American English
    Yep that's about the gist of it. I had almost the same one... no more though :(I had the Ram, not the Dakota. I still can't get any pix to upload :mad:! I hope that this has been enlightening, because I can't do anymore without pictures to aid my descriptions.

Sweet T.

24. te gato

te gato Senior Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Hey MZ;
    I have the 4x4 Dakota...but in metalic purple/blue..325 motor...very lady-like..:D

Most 4x4 trucks..will have the white 4x4 decal on the back of the truck box..to let you know that it is a 4x4...have to keep within the thread...

te gato

25. Jeremy Sharpe Junior Member

Canada, English
    2 by 4 can also be a piece of wood...

It is a commonly held myth that SUVs are any better than any other car at taking corners. They aren't, since ALL cars have 4 brakes, and the only thing special about 4WD is that the engine is attached to all wheels, which has nothing to do at all with cornering (except for coming out of them, which you wouldn't do unless you'd made the turn in the first place).

This myth leads to many accidents.

26. jacinta Senior Member

California
    USA English
    As can be a 4x4, 4x6, 2x2, 1x4, whatever dimension you need.

I actually thought that was the question when I saw the heading 4x4 :p

To my dismay, the thread is about cars. Too bad. I'd rather talk about wood.

27. daviesri Senior Member

Houston, TX
    USA English
    I am glad I was not the only one who made a comment on wood. When I saw 4X4 I thought the same thing and was suprised to see averything talking about trucks. I guess I'm not a big enough motorhead.

28. te gato

te gato Senior Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Aummm are you calling me a Motorhead???:D
    I thought both actually...
    So let us take our 1x4s and 2x4s and our 4x4s and load then in the back of the 4x4..and off we go...

te gato;)