9-11th October vs 9-11 Of October

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Blackmirtl, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Blackmirtl Senior Member

russian
    I'm a little bit confused, how would it be right to say: "9-11th October" or "9-11 Of October"?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  2. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    I'm not sure what you mean. Do you have a complete sentence using this construction?

3. Blackmirtl Senior Member

russian
    It means the date - from 9th to 11th of October. For instance: this event will be taking place 9-11th of October. Am I right?

4. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    In British English that is correct. It may be different in AE.

5. Blackmirtl Senior Member

russian
    Thank you!
    Maybe someone know if it's correct to say "this event will be taking place 9-11th October" in AE.

6. In AE they put the month first and use the word 'through'. I think they'd say 'This event will be taking place October 9 through 11.'

They'll correct me if I'm wrong.

Rover

7. entangledbank

entangledbank Senior Member

London
    English - South-East England
    The problem here is that what we say is very different from what we write. No-one always writes exactly what they say. (This is in the sticky thread of frequently discussed topics, of course, so we won't go over it here.) In BrE style we can write 9 October or 9th October or 9th of October or the 9th of October, but always read it as the last. With a date range, we say "on the ninth to the eleventh of October" (or there may be other ways), but that can be written with the same options for a single date: 9–11 October, etc.; and indeed more options because 9th–11th and 9–11th are both possible. I could give you my preference, but there is no one right answer.

There's only one thing I can say definitely: we don't write 9 of October, so we wouldn't write 9–11 of October. If you write 'of', you also need the ordinal symbol such as 'th'.

8. JustKate

JustKate Moderate Mod

In AmE, we would write this with October following the dates only if we were for some reason following BE style (as might happen, for example, if a company does a lot of business in the UK). But if you want to use AmE style it would be either October 9-11 or October 9th-11th. Sometimes October is abbreviated "Oct." but it isn't always. My preference is Oct. or October 9-11. I say "ninth" and "eleventh" but I don't usually write them that way.

9. Blackmirtl Senior Member

russian
    Thank you a lot, guys!)

10. RM1(SS)

RM1(SS) Senior Member

Connecticut
    English - US (Midwest)
    Note that in the American military this would be written "9-11 October" and spoken as "nine to eleven October."

11. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima

Singapore
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    If you writing (not speaking) the date, you can write 9–11 or 9th–11th (before or after the month, depending on style), but I don't like 9–11th because it looks inconsistent.