A 21st century thesaurus concept

Discussion in 'WR Thesaurus' started by mkellogg, May 11, 2011.

1. mkellogg Administrator

South Florida
    English - US
    Hi everybody,
    I am excited to have a thesaurus on WordReference and I am eager to try a new concept here. We are starting with a standard thesaurus, but my dream is to create something much better by uniting it with the forums.

This thesaurus will be:
    - Collaborative – Users can add terms to an entry. You will be surprised how easy it is to think up missing synonyms.
    - With context – You will have the ability to add context, example sentences and comments to each term in a thesaurus entry.
    - Open – It will be freely usable by many websites and programs through the WordReference API.
    - Fun – If all goes well, the forum tied to the thesaurus should be an enjoyable place to visit.

I also want to add in the near future:
    - Lists, lists, lists - WordReference’s focus has always been the bilingual (translation) dictionaries. Having lists of soccer terms, kitchen utensils and many other groups can be a big help for the language learner.

In the end, I think that together we can create an impressive work: a thesaurus that is the world’s best.

What can you do to help?
    I think we just need a small group of 4-7 people to get this started. If each person in this small group thinks of two good entries per week that could be fun to expand, we will have enough source material to work with.

-Mike

Last edited: May 31, 2011