1. BonjourJohn New Member

Bonjour, I'm writing a paper with the title of "A Better Paris" or "A Better France". How would I properly translate these?

For Paris, would it be "Un Paris Meilleur" or "Un Meilleur Paris"?

For France, would I write "Une France Meilleure" or "Un Meilleure France"?

I was told that there is no direct translation for "A Better France". Also, this website says the adjective should come before the noun:

Certain adjectives are placed before the noun, some which you can memorize with the acronym "BAGS":

Good and bad
    Size (except for grand with people - see 3, below)

These descriptors - and a few others - are considered inherent qualities of the noun:

une jolie fille - pretty girl
    un jeune homme - young man
    une nouvelle maison - new house
    un bon enfant - good child
    un petit problème - small problem
    les sincères condoléances - sincere condolences
    les vagues promesses - vague promises
    un gentil garçon - kind boy

Merci Beaucoup!
  2. CarlosRapido

CarlosRapido Senior Member

Québec - Canada
    français - English (Can)
    "Un meilleur Paris pour une France meilleure" :D Sort of a play on words - A better bet (pari) for an improved France. But sorry, just joking.

"Un Paris Meilleur":cross: (On dirait plutôt un Paris amélioré) or "Un Meilleur Paris":tick:...and the same for France
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  3. BonjourJohn New Member

I'm more confused! Your answer conflicts with an answer I received from yahoo!
    How certain are you that meilleur/meilleure should come before Paris/France?

You are right by saying "un Paris meilleur". You can also say "un meilleur Paris" but people could confuse "paris" and "pari" (which means "bet" in English) in this sentence.

Saying "a better France" in French sounds weird. It's better to say: un meilleur pays/une meilleure nation (which means "a better country/a better nation").

[h=3]Source(s):[/h]Native French speaker.

Merci encore!
  4. CarlosRapido

Québec - Canada
    français - English (Can)
    As a native speaker myself (albeit Canadian) 'Un meilleur Paris' just sounds better to my ear, and the confusion Paris/pari which I also pointed out would only happen in the oral and in the absence of other context (unlikely in the oral).

But, the point of difference could actually be moot and a case for personal preference, as both would probably be clearly understood by most francophones.
  5. BonjourJohn New Member

Thank you very much again! I just need to make sure this is correct! I understood your joke about betting because of the yahoo answer :)

Regarding "Une Meilleure France", a google search returns 11,300 results for that phrase, while it returns 108,000 for "une France meilleure".

And I'm trying to say the phrase most similar to "a better Canada" or "a better United States".

Are you fairly certain "Une Meilleure France" would be best?

Thank you so very much again for your help!
  6. CarlosRapido

Québec - Canada
    français - English (Can)
    My translation robot gives 'A better France' for 'Une meilleure France' and 'France one better/France improved' for 'Une France meilleure'. I also get the same spread as you on a Google search, none of which is conclusive in any way; the reliability of such sources is all but..err, reliable.

Again, I guess you are stuck with the personal preference theory unless a grammarian should pop out of the woodwork to cite us some hard and fast rules.
  7. BonjourJohn New Member

Thank you again, you've helped me get closer to the answer!
  8. BonjourJohn New Member

Does anyone else have any insight?