1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

a Broadway play

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by joanvillafane, Aug 12, 2010.

1. joanvillafane Senior Member

U.S., New Jersey
    U.S. English
    Salve, amici - I'm trying to describe a trip to New York and need some help with the correct word for "play" - I've referred to it twice with two different words - are they OK? and Please correct my errors - I really appreciate it:

We went to a Broadway play. The show was excellent but I don't think I will ever get used to driving in Manhattan. Imagine the worst traffic jam - it's even worse!

Siamo andato a una rappresentazione teatrale a Broadway. Il spettacolo è stato eccelente, ma credo che non mai potrò abituarmi a guidare a Manhattan! Immagina il peggior ingorgo – è anche peggio!

Thank you

2. entrapta

entrapta Senior Member

Bologna
    Italian
    Siamo andatI a una rappresentazione teatrale a Broadway. Il LO spettacolo è stato eccelente, ma credo che non mai potrò abituarmi a guidare a Manhattan! Immagina il peggior ingorgo – è anche peggio! just that!

3. MünchnerFax

MünchnerFax Senior Member

Germany
    Italian, Italy
    Some more corrections:
    ...è stato eccellente, ma credo che non potrò mai abituarmi a guidare a Manhattan! Immagina il peggior ingorgo – è ancora peggio!
    If you found the traffic in Manhattan stressful, then I guess you have never driven in any big Italian city. :cool:

4. joanvillafane Senior Member

U.S., New Jersey
    U.S. English
    Thank you so much, Entrapta and MunchnerFax.
    and you're absolutely right about driving in Italy - I've never done it, but I'll consider NYC traffic as good preparation.

5. entrapta

entrapta Senior Member

Bologna
    Italian
    Ups I guess i just read the words in the order they were supposed to be!:eek: Or maybe I didn't read "non" (you could have written "credo che mai potrò abituarmi" but it's better "credo che non potrò mai abituarmi"<-note the double negative-confusing eh?)One thing Munchner: I don't see anything wrong in saying "è anche peggio" although "ancora" is abit more natural perhaps.

6. MünchnerFax

MünchnerFax Senior Member

Germany
    Italian, Italy
    You are right, I was not sure if I should change that as well, but then I thought it sounds more natural with ancora in this particular sentence.