1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

a cambio de que...

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by jmorales31, Sep 8, 2007.

1. jmorales31 New Member

United States, English
    I've heard the phrase "a cambio de que.." in a couple of songs. For example, a line in a song by Rocio Durcal goes; "a cambio de que tu nunca más te vayas.." What does this mean?

(En español): He oido la frase "a cambio de que.." en unas canciones. ¿Qué signficia?

2. LaReinita

LaReinita Senior Member

East Coast, USA
    USA (Northeast Coast)-Inglés
    In order that you never leave again....

Well, now I'm unsure, hopefully a native will come along.

3. Milton Sand

Milton Sand Modómano, 'mano

Bucaramanga, Colombia
    Español (Colombia)
    Hi!
    Ithink it could be translated as "...in exchange for you to never leave again"
    Did I write it gramatically correct?

4. LaReinita

LaReinita Senior Member

East Coast, USA
    Well, it doesn't sound natural to me. I think my translation will best suite in this situation.

5. Dudu678

Dudu678 Senior Member

Madrid
    Español (España)
    Yes and no. In order to is only part of it, there's also the nuance of the exchange.

6. Crescent

Crescent Senior Member

England
    Russian, (Ukraine)
    Hola a todos. :)

Creo que la verdad está a medio camino entre las respuestas de LaReinita y Milton Sand! :p
    De hecho, aunque lo que dice LaReinita suena más ''natural'' a los oídos ingleses, yo, personalmente, encontré la traducción que dio Milton Sand más fácil a entender: es decir, más fácil a ver de dónde proviene, porque está más cerca de la frase original en español.
    a cambio de que nunca más te vayas = (e.g.I will do this..) for the purpose of/so that/ in exchange for you never leaving again.

Espero haber explicado las cosas un poco mejor! :)

7. LaReinita

LaReinita Senior Member

East Coast, USA
    Yes, but in English to say:

In exchange for you to never leave again . ... sounds strange.

In order that you never leave again . . . it's understood that something will be done, in order to make sure that you stay.

in order that, so that; to the end that: We ought to leave early in order that we may not miss the train.

in order to, as a means to; with the purpose of: She worked summers in order to save money for college.

Dictionary.com

8. Crescent

Crescent Senior Member

England
    Russian, (Ukraine)
    Well, I don't know about that. :) I do agree with you, but at the same time... more than ''strange'' I would just call it original. :rolleyes: There is nothing grammatically incorrect about it which just strikes your eye and screams right at you: Arrgh! There's a horrible mistake in me! Is there? :p
    Milton Sand has nearly got it right! Surely, you can pardon him a tiny little mistake? ;)

9. Milton Sand

Milton Sand Modómano, 'mano

Bucaramanga, Colombia
    Español (Colombia)
    Hi, again!
    Well, the whole sentence is: Te doy mi vida a cambio de que nunca más te vayas.
    This is what we needed from the begining.
    It means that she is offering her live as a price to buy her man's wish to stay forever. She is proposing a metaphorical deal.
    Bye.
    PD: Please, show mw my mistakes. That's my only reason to dare answering in English.

10. jmorales31 New Member

United States, English
    I wasn't specifically trying to translate the line of the song. I've heard "a cambio de que" in different contexts as well, not ONLY in that song. I was merely using it as an example. I just was wondering what "a cambio de que" means. Sorry for the confustion! Could someone PLEASE give an example of using "a cambio de que" in a different sentence? Thanks!

11. Dudu678

Dudu678 Senior Member

Madrid
    Español (España)
    I think the point now is: do you understand it now?

12. jmorales31 New Member

United States, English
    assuming that everyone wasn't simply translating the phrase in the context of the blasted song. I was simply looking for the general meaning. But yes...I think I DO understand it now--lol

13. Crescent

Crescent Senior Member

England
    Russian, (Ukraine)
    Hm... no soy experto, pero podría intentar. :eek::) Tal vez:

Yo te compraré ésto, a cambio de que no seas tan caprichosa la próxima vez!

Qué piensan los nativos? :)

14. Dudu678

Dudu678 Senior Member

Madrid
    Español (España)
    No me parece algo que yo diría. Es decir, como ejemplo está bien, pero yo aquí diría:

Te compraré esto con tal de que no seas tan caprichosa la próxima vez.

Example with a cambio de que:

Me ayudó a llevar la compra a casa a cambio de que yo recogiera a sus hijos por la tarde.

As Milton Sand pointed out, there's a deal.

15. Moritzchen Senior Member

Los Angeles, CA
    Spanish, USA
    And something like "if" or "for"?
    If you don't leave I'll bake some cookies.
    I'd take my robe off for you to stay.:eek:

16. mochilero

mochilero Senior Member

London
    UK English
    More like "in return for" in my humble opinion.

17. Crescent

Crescent Senior Member

England
    Russian, (Ukraine)
    Sí, por fin hemos encontrado algo que parece convenir lo mejor a la traducción de ''a cambio de que..'', gracias a mochilero! :)

Creo también que ''in return for'' es una muy buena traducción!
    Moritzchen:
    If you don't leave I'll bake some cookies. = Coceré unas galletas a cambio de que no te vayas.
    I'd take my robe off for you to stay.:eek: = Me quitaré mi albornoz a cambio de que no te vayas? (te quedes) (your bathrobe?!:eek:)

No sé - en inglés estas frases me suenan bien, pero en español...no podría decir!

18. Dudu678

Dudu678 Senior Member

Madrid
    Español (España)
    Great!!

El a cambio de que en esas frases no me suena muy natural. Se entiende, por supuesto, pero de nuevo insisisto en que yo no lo diría.

Cuidado con lo de cocer. Si dices (te) haré unas galletas quedas mucho mejor.

19. ryujj143 Junior Member

nc
    English-America
    im pretty sure it means in exchange for: "i give you my life in exchange for you never leaving.