1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

A causa de que, debido a que + subjunctive

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by littleuea2007, May 14, 2008.

1. littleuea2007 Junior Member

english, england
    Do 'a causa de que' + 'debido a que' etc take the subjunctive?
    If they do is it only when referring to something in the future or something hypothetical?

Thank you

2. franmadrid Senior Member

MADRID
    spanish madrid
    Those expressions are usually followed by a noun phrase, without any verbs:
    -No pude salir debido a la lluvia.
    But if they are follewed by a verb, it could be both indicative:
    -Debido a la lluvia no podré salir de casa ("podré" = future indicative). This is merely a change in word order of "no podré salir debido a la lluvia"
    You can find them in some structures with the subjuntive, but because of the use of other parts of the sentence that need the subjuntive:
    -Es posible que a causa de la lluva no pudiera salir (pudiera=past subjuntiv). What is esential to the use of the subjuntive is "es posible que" not "a causa de"

Let´s see if somebody else finds more uses or examples to complete this

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  3. littleuea2007 Junior Member

english, england
    Thank you for your reply.
    It might help if I put an example of what I would like to say:

'el anonimato baja la calidad de la ensenanza en las universidades a causa de que los estudiantes no pueden hablar con el profesor...'

o

' los profesores no tendran la posibilidad de ver el progreso de las habilidades de cada estudiante debido a que no conoceran su identidad'

I don't know if that helps or not.

4. JB

JB Senior Member

Santa Monica, CA, EEUU
    English (AE)
    1. I was impressed by FranMadrid's response (concise, clear, to the point) and want to see his answer. I want to add that you should always include context in the first post. Please read the link below.

2. Also below is a link to help with typing accents and tildes.

3. It looks to me like you are trying to translate literally the English "due to the fact that" which is a sloppy, long-winded, redundant way of saying "because". For this reason, I suggest your first version should be:

sobre Contexto - about Context & Background.

Accent Marks / Tildes

:

5. organist Senior Member

English - England
    'el anonimato baja la calidad de la ensenanza en las universidades a causa de que los estudiantes no pueden hablar con el profesor...'

o

' los profesores no tendran la posibilidad de ver el progreso de las habilidades de cada estudiante debido a que no conoceran su identidad'

Why don't you just put "porque" in both those sentences?

"Anonimity lowers the quality of university teaching because the students can't speak to the teacher".

"The teacher will not be able to see the progress of the student's abilities because they will not know their identity"

To me "because of the fact that..." and "Owing to the fact that they will not know their identity" sound a bit clumsy in both languages.

6. franmadrid Senior Member

MADRID
    spanish madrid
    In both sentences you need the indicative, the subjuntive is not possible.