a che punto sei/stai?

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by lostindenmark, Dec 14, 2007.

1. lostindenmark New Member

Italy
    Hi,

somebody could help me to translate this sentence in english?

"A che stai con il lavoro?"

thanks

2. underhouse Senior Member

Che cosa vuol dire "a che stai con il lavoro"?

3. giovannino

giovannino Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    Forse: how far have you got (BE, gotten in AE) with...(your work/translation etc)?

EDIT: Under, penso che "a che stai?" sia un uso regionale corrispondente a "a che punto sei?"

4. brian

brian Senior Member

Montréal
    AmE (New Orleans)
    Where are you with the work?
    How far (along) are you with the work?
    What point are you at in the work?
    eccetera...

giovannino, un americano ti chiederebbe "How far have you GOTTEN with..." :D

5. giovannino

giovannino Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    I must have read your mind:). I edited my post (adding gotten) just before I read yours!
    By the way, is this also an acceptable translation for "a che punto sei?" or are the phrases you suggested more common?

6. brian

brian Senior Member

Montréal
    AmE (New Orleans)
    Well, I might be imagining a small difference here that may not exist, but I'll explain it anyway. If I were asking someone for the first time "a che punto sei..." then I would say: How far (along) are you with...? If I had already seen them working, or if we had recently talked about it, then I would probably ask: How far have you gotten... (since last time we saw each other/talked)?

Adding the word "got(ten) implies a sort of beginning point for me, and so means "what point are you at in relation to the last point you were at (whenever we last talked)." But honestly they're probably interchangeable, and I don't want to confuse anyone. :D

7. giovannino

giovannino Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    Thanks, Brian. The distinction you explained makes sense. Maybe not everyone makes this distinction but the difference is certainly there:)

8. Leo57 Senior Member

Yorkshire
    UK English
    Leo:)

9. patrimani Senior Member

Italian Italy
    The Italian question "a che punto sei?" means that you ask somebody who's carrying on a task where he or she has arrived. It is colloquial and informal.
    Does anybody know what the English for it is?
    Thanks a lot!

10. Zsanna

Zsanna ModErrata

Hungary
    Hungarian - Hungary
    I've just posted an answer to that and the whole thing disappeared... Begin again!

I'd think a simple "Where are you (in your reading/writing, etc.)? would also be enough.

A question like How are you getting on? (may get the same description of where you are but not necessarily because it) expresses more concern about you personally.(Whether you find the job easy, difficult, need help, etc.)

11. patrimani Senior Member

Italian Italy
    thank you!!!!

12. giovannino

giovannino Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    Patrimani, Brian listed several options in his two posts:

Where are you with the work?
    How far (along) are you with the work?
    What point are you at in the work?
    How far have you gotten... (since last time we saw each other/talked)?