1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

A coin has two sides

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Sergin, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Sergin

Sergin Junior Member

Chinese
    Hi, Everybody~
    Today I am here to ask the synonymous saying which can be used in a formal writing of the sentence "A coin has two sides."

Thanks so much~:)

2. Dimcl Senior Member

British Columbia, Canada
    Canadian English
    What do you mean by a "formal writing" of "A coin has two sides"?

As far as I know, the saying is "There are two sides to every coin".

3. Sergin

Sergin Junior Member

Chinese
    Oh, I mean that If I want to express the meaning "Every coin has two sides" when I am writing an essay or dissertation. How many utterances are there?

4. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Sergin, I suggest you give us some examples of the sort of sentence you have in mind - we can then comment on them:)

5. Sergin

Sergin Junior Member

Chinese
    oh...I only know the one "Every coin has two sides."

But I want to know other sayings.

For example, when I have to evaluate the impacts of the IT technology, I want to say, "Every coin has two sides, IT technology brings to us good impacts whilst adverse ones...blah blah"

6. Dimcl Senior Member

British Columbia, Canada
    Canadian English
    I'm a little confused about why you want another "saying". There are many ways to describe positive/negative, good/bad, etc. but I can't think of any particular "sayings" synonymous with the coin concept.

As Loob suggested earlier, sample sentences demonstrating the two-sided aspect would help. But, please give us the complete sentence - "...blah, blah" doesn't tell us much.;)

7. Sergin

Sergin Junior Member

Chinese
    Actually, what I want is this
    I have read this sentences:"Using Computer is like a two-edge sword"

But I don't know if it is correct. To me, it is a littlbe bit weird.

8. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    It seems strange to me, too. Perhaps "using a computer is like using a two-edged sword" would make better grammatical sense.

However, I would be more likely to say "Technology is a two-edged sword. On one hand .... , but on the other, ...."