1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

a cura di

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Queva, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Queva Senior Member

Italian
    Hi all,
    I am doing a bit of proof-reading for a friend's final essay at uni, and I don't know how to correct one particular point. In the resources, a volume reads
    W.B.Yeats (a cura di), Year of publication, Title, Place of Publication, Publisher.
    So two questions: is this correct in english, or should the year of publication be last after the publisher? In Italian it's up to the writer.
    And second: how on earth do I translate "a cura di"? I know it's not "care of"..

I also stumble across: North/West, North-West and North-Western, all to translate the italian Nord/Ovest. Aside from the fact that I myself would have written Nord-Ovest, which of the three english versions is correct?
    Cheers,
    Q.

2. ElaineG

ElaineG Senior Member

Brooklyn NY
    USA/English
    A cura di is "edited by."

We have a lot of different style manuals for bibliographical citations and generally, the institution or company that you are submitting to tells you which one to use.

For academic papers about literature (just a guess based on the reference to Yeats), the most used is the MLA (Modern Language Association) Style manual. They don't publish it on the web, but I found this link: http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/research/r_mla.html#Print

As you can see, using the MLA style, it would be W.B. Yeats. Poems. Dublin: Irish Publisher, 1905.

P.S. Northwest, and "the Northwest" would be most common in English. You could use North-West, but I have never seen North/West.

3. victoria luz

victoria luz Senior Member

lecce
    italy
    Ciao Queva,

I wouldn't say that in Italian the order is "up to the writer".
    As a matter of fact, there are very precise rules to follow when you write a bibliography or footnotes, above all if you do so in academic works such as a final essay for Uni.

There's a LOVELY (and most interesting and useful) little book by Umberto Eco, titled "Come si fa una tesi di laurea". It's a reading I'd recommend to any university student, although I suspect your friend is nearly done with his/her work and therefore wouldn't profit much from it.

In alternative, some good advice and info can be found here
    http://emdb.lettere.unige.it/sez_antr/tesi/note_tesi.doc
    and here
    http://www.aresearchguide.com/11guide.html

As for the NordOvest, I'd go with the hyphen. North-western is the adjectival form of North-West, so they are not interchangeable.

Bye
    VL

4. Queva Senior Member

Italian
    Thanks everyone :)
    In Italian the references list is:
    W.B.Yeats, (a cura di) etc.
    Would the english form be:
    W.B.Yeats, (edited by) ect. or what from should I use?

Also, is it correct to write "Milan North-West" for the italian "Milano Nord-Ovest"? It doesn't quite sound right..

5. ElaineG

ElaineG Senior Member

Brooklyn NY
    USA/English
    In MLA style, you'd say: Yeats, W.B. Poems. Ed. Queva Forero...

(I noticed in my example above I forgot to invert the name of the author, which you'd obviously do in a bibliography -- doh!).

Northwest Milan is much more natural to English speakers (compare: East London, South Boston etc.).

6. cremonagirl Junior Member

British English
    Hi,

I need to translate 'a cura di' related to an exhibition not a book but I can't think how I should put it.

Example: [title of exhibition] a cura di [names of people who organised it]

In my opinion 'by' isn't enough, 'organised by' doesn't seem right, 'with thanks to' doesn't give the impression that they actually organised it, just that they helped a little - I'm lost - does anyone have any better ideas please?

Thanks
    :)

7. neuromatico

neuromatico Senior Member

Toronto
    English (Canadian)
    I've often seen "organized by" used in this context, but an alternative is "curated by", (which doesn't imply that the organizer was a curator).

8. cremonagirl Junior Member

British English
    I think that 'curated by' is what I was looking for - thank you!

:)

9. t.ring Junior Member

Near Milan, Italy
    English - North American & British
    "Una borsa di studio ottenuta a cura di Sergio Rossi..."

"A scholarship granted by Sergio Rossi" or "given to her by"or "awarded to her by"?

I'm confused because the name is that of an individual (i.e. Sergio Rossi) and not of an institution e.g. the University of Milan etc.

Many thanks :)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  10. oakleaf Junior Member

english - united states
    Perhaps someone will see this, though attached to another thread. I was asked by two of my Italian grad students to work with them on the translation of a book in our field. I had introduced it to them and i know the author personally. I'm American, they are Italian and doing the translation into Italian (their initiative, and they contacted the publisher who is offering us a contract) but I'm doing some major editing (going over the original and their translation to see if the concepts correspond). I definitely do NOT want to be the typical Italian professor who takes the credit, but they insist that i put my name on it as well. I would like to distinguish my role from theirs, since the bulk of the work is theirs, though my role is proving essential. (The casa editrice will nevertheless have an editor go over it again, but may not be as well-versed in the thinking of the author, and i can ask the author directly about subtle shades of meaning). They have invited me to write the preface with them.
    How coudl i appear on the cover - is "a cura di" a possible way? I want it to appear as an auxiliary role. I'm not sure even what it would be in English.
    thanks
    if i don't get replies i'll start anotehr thread.

11. Lorena1970

Lorena1970 Senior Member

Italy, Italiano
    Hi oakleaf,

Congratulations at first, as an Italian professor would have avoided to even mention the two generous students and would have taken all the merits, deserved and even not deserved.
    So, once again, I must say thank you to the Anglosaxon world for existing, as without it me myself would have NEVER had seen anything of my own work respected.

Said that, YES, "a cura di " would be perfect, as you are doing sort of supervision of someone's else work, so you are not the protagonist of this work although you have an authoritative role due to your experience.

I am in the field ( I am writing 2 international important books), so I guess you can trust me;) Anyway, feel free to doubt and see what other say :)

And again: chapeau!

12. oakleaf Junior Member

english - united states
    thanks very much, Lorena. I did my studies here in psychology and was appalled by what i saw so in my small way I try to make things better and more honest. I will pass this on to the two translators and see what they think. However my doubt my that "a cura di" might be perceived as a more important role. Or that that is what the casa editrice does.
    all the best!

13. Lorena1970

Lorena1970 Senior Member

Italy, Italiano
    If I properly understand, this book has an author, 2 translators and a supervisor/editor/whatever.
    I understand your point, and probably the best would be: author XY, a cura di oakleaf + students names, translation students name.

In this way you will put yourself in a lower position for sure (they have the translation + part of supervision) but will give at same time your students the chance to put their name besides yours as peers, which I think they will appreciate and won't diminish your role. Moreover they will have the translation merits. Sounds perfect!

14. oakleaf Junior Member

english - united states
    thanks again, that sounds good