a.d. XX Kalendae Maium

Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by susanna76, May 16, 2014.

1. susanna76 Senior Member

I have to change the date on a diploma model. Bucurestiis refers to Bucharest.

I have
    Datum Bucurestiis, ad VII Kalendae Juniae, A.D. MMXI

I need to change the date for May 20, 2014.

Is the following correct?

Datum Bucurestiis, ad XX Kalendae Maium, A.D. MMXIV

Thank you!

P.S. Can someone please correct the thread title: ad instead of a.d. (The translator put a.d.; I kept thinking it should make some sense but it's clearly "ad" that's correct. NB: I don't know much Latin at all.)
    Last edited: May 16, 2014
  2. CapnPrep Senior Member

It would be a.d. XIII Kalendae Juniae. Your model diploma is dated 26 May 2011.
  3. susanna76 Senior Member

Oh! Thank you, CapnPrep!
  4. susanna76 Senior Member

I'm confused. What calendar is this? Is there a difference of 24 days? If we're talking about the Julian calendar, shouldn't it be a difference of 13 days, i.e.:
    a.d. II Kalendae Juniae
    (Edit: In fact, one should subtract, not add 13 days.)
    Last edited: May 17, 2014
  5. CapnPrep Senior Member

It can be whichever calendar you want (Julian or Gregorian). It's just that the date 20 May is written according to the conventions of the Roman calendar. In your case, we count the number of days until 1 June: from 20 May to 1 June is a period of 13 days, so XIII. I think the form should actually be Kalendas Junias, but your model text apparently uses the nominative. You can avoid this question by abbreviating it to Kal. Jun. :)

See this Wikipedia article for more details, and also the following threads:
    calender dates
    die IX KAL. JUN
    How to write a date
    grammar of roman dates
  6. susanna76 Senior Member

Oh, I see now. Thank you so very much CapnPrep!